Follow up to IR talk

Terry G

I've been using IR for the last several months. Clients love the IR cam and it makes me look smart (not an easy task).

It's great for verifying problems you suspect but can't see and sometimes reveals problems you don't suspect or see.

It's got way large cool factor.

It's one thing to say "the house is going to burn down soon blah,blah,blah" but when you add the pics it's much more dramatic.

Image Insert:

2008812838_IR000115.jpg

7.62 KB

Image Insert:

20088128336_IR000114.jpg

13.07 KB

Originally posted by Terry G

I have been following all the IR talk and am curious what your guys thoughts are now that you have been using it for awhile. Have you checked with your insurance companies to make sure the have your back?

An IR camera is just another tool, it is no different than if you use a SureTest or a moisture meter. It is just an expensive tool! When folks have problems and they have to call in their E&O provider to bail them out it is not because they used an IR camera.

Inspector folks get into trouble when they screw-up and under report, miss a major item or the just can not write a report that conveys what they found or didn't find.

Now on the other hand, I have been involved in a case that a home owner sued a home inspector who used an IR camera and misdiagnosed the condition that he thought he was seeing. The homeowner removed a large section of wall to get to a "hot electrical wire" that the home inspector found. The inspector said that the wire was going to catch the house on fire. Once the wall was opened up, it turned out to be a PEX water line that was running down from the attic and around the wall in the living room. No leaks and no electrical problems. Buyer walked and owner sued and case was settled in favor of the plaintiff.

I have just about decided to get an IR camera. But just like laptop computers the price keeps going down and down. So I'm just going to wait until the price is right and I will eventually add one to my tool bag.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

The homeowner removed a large section of wall to get to a "hot electrical wire" that the home inspector found.

It just amazes me that there are morons running around making calls with IR like that. I wonder if he took any of those expensive classes and did that?

Chris, Oregon

He was a graduate of Infrared Certified or something like that. He opted for the low price quickie!

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

The homeowner removed a large section of wall to get to a "hot electrical wire" that the home inspector found.

It just amazes me that there are morons running around making calls with IR like that. I wonder if he took any of those expensive classes and did that?

Chris, Oregon

There are morons running around doing a lot of things. What profession is there that doesn't have morons that make the wrong call?

When it comes to the IR camera, it has indirectly made me money. I know a few jobs I got where the IR pictures that I included in the brochure was the initial reason for the buyer calling my office. $4000 for at least a year or two of good advertising plus the possibility to find something that could keep you from using your insurance is not bad.

When it comes to home inspections, I feel I have a better understanding of the house. Many times I just see the temperature difference on the wall from the studs and the insulation or the temperature of the casing of the breaker(s) due to the stove or air conditioner being on. But when you discover something that you would likely not have without the IR camera, that is when you think that camera is the best in the world.

I have bought many things over the years. Some have been great, some good, some bad. When it comes to the IR camera, I would rate it as good.

Glad to see it is working for others. I have been using IR for over 5 years. I would highly recommend to anyone that is thinking about buying a camera to include real training in the purchase price. Not online training. I mean Level I and Level II in classroom. I have taken courses with both Flir and Snell and have to say for me I got more out of the Snell classes than Flir's (ITC). Snell is independent and just teachers you what you need to know. I would also make sure your insurance company knows you are using infrared. I had to change my first E&O because of it. Don't assume you are covered. Another point which you will learn as a Level II is you are better off not putting numbers for temperatures in you pictures. Unless you include a nice disclaimer about the accuracy of those numbers. I have learned alot the hard way(and still learning) and got into this when it was not the "in" thing to do. IR is like you said just another tool in the bag. But used properly and with experience can be a valuable peice of a successful business.