Help with date codes?

Tom Raymond

Yesterdays inspection had old mechanicals. I checked the furnace age chart and can't find these units. Anybody got any ideas?

Frunace is Heil model HUGB105AG01, serial HU3219044. On the data plate there was an ANSI date of 1978, is this the date of MFG?

The serial does not follow the formula in the chart.

Also had an A.O. Smith 50 gallon water heater model PGD 50 780, serial 780-M-73-19753.

Both are natural gas. Both are being called out on multiple problems, but I would still like to have the ages.

Thanks,

Tom

I believe that the water heater was manufactured in December 1973 but I don't have a clue about a Heil that old. My suggestion would be to google Heil, find out who used to own them and then check out the coding procedure for that brand name. If you solve it, please shoot me a PM or an email with the formula so that I can add it to the chart.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I did search Heil, and found out they where aquired by International Comfort Products in 1962. I called ICP tech support and they could not ID this unit either. Their system would not recognize either the model or serial numbers. They submitted a request for the information department to research this unit. I will forward what they send me.

I'm guessing it is from the early 70's like the water heater, but it is possible it was built before 62. Actually, based on appearances only, things like the logos and colors, the water heater looks more like it was built in the 60's and the furnace in the 70's. In any event they both lived well beyond their service lives.

Tom

Tom, if you have a clear ANSI date of 1978 on the furnace, then it probably would have been manufactured within 3 or 4 years after, but definitely not before. I'd go with something along the lines of..."The exact age of the furnace is unknown, but a date on the label indicates it was manufactured 25 to 30 years ago...etc"

I'm with Mike on the water heater...1973. I'm surprised it's still holding water.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

I'm with Mike on the water heater...1973. I'm surprised it's still holding water.

It still worked fine too, water temp 110 F at the futhest fixture, and no sediment stink either. No evidence of backdraft issues. It came equiped with the patented "Flo-Thru" drain that still had the clean out instruction tag on it. I checked, it wasn't dated.

I called it for improper TPRV install, no shutoffs, and the shell is rusting out along the bottom. It also has a ton of dents in it, like it fell over in shipping or something. Oh yeah, the fact that it's out lived it's service life twice had something to do with it.

Tom