Installation Defects/ Code

Brandon Whitmore

Thanks Bill,

I'm going to call the plans examiner tomorrow. The roofer gave me his name/ number so I can track him down.

I'll tell this plans examiner that the phone call is being recorded just so I don't forget what he says (we'll see if his opinion changes once he knows he's being taped). I will ask him to put his opinion in writing as well.

The way I interpret 102.7.1 is that when you make repairs to one specific part of a structure, you don't have to upgrade everything else in the structure at that time.(judging by what you underlined, we are on the same page)

I just completed my re- inspection of the roof.

I would say that about half of the butt joints had staples either lining up with them, or offset maybe an inch. The roofer told me that the manufacturer said to just seal the fasteners (Henry's sealant). This seems kinda dumb to me, but if the manufacturer is cool with it, so be it (I told my client to get this in writing from the manufacturer).

The chimney flashing was never touched. I gave in on the cricket requirement, but the flashing is one piece (picture a large Z).

Other stuff was pseudo- repaired.

After telling the agent and client that there was no way I would guarantee anything regarding the roof on several separate occasions, the agent e- mailed me this morning with this request: "Brandon, can you give us a final clear on your reinspection of the roof. This is for XXXXX underwriters on her loan. " [:-dunce]

Is she serious? No freakin' way.

Well, looks like I won't be getting any referrals from this Realtor...

. . . The chimney flashing was never touched. I gave in on the cricket requirement, but the flashing is one piece (picture a large Z).

Why would that be worse than an old fashioned base & counter flashing method at the head of the chimney?

Other stuff was pseudo- repaired.

After telling the agent and client that there was no way I would guarantee anything regarding the roof on several separate occasions, the agent e- mailed me this morning with this request: "Brandon, can you give us a final clear on your reinspection of the roof. This is for XXXXX underwriters on her loan. " [:-dunce]

Is she serious? No freakin' way.

You know, it would be a lot more fun if you just went ahead and wrote the clear letter. I've done it once or twice. Something like, "I've inspected the repairs to this roof and I feel that it should perform well for the next 3-5 years as long as it isn't exposed to wind or rain."

Well, looks like I won't be getting any referrals from this Realtor...

Give her my name & number. After a few inspections, she'll come running back to you.

- Jim in Oregon

Quote: Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

. . . The chimney flashing was never touched. I gave in on the cricket requirement, but the flashing is one piece (picture a large Z).

Why would that be worse than an old fashioned base & counter flashing method at the head of the chimney?

Because everything I have seen requires a 2 piece system. On most of the old ones I have seen where they used one piece, they looked OK. On a few of them, the flashing was either damaged, or loose where it tied into the chimney.

My concern is the fact that you will get dissimilar movement, which can either work the flashing loose at the chimney, or do something else.

You know, it would be a lot more fun if you just went ahead and wrote the clear letter. I've done it once or twice. Something like, "I've inspected the repairs to this roof and I feel that it should perform well for the next 3-5 years as long as it isn't exposed to wind or rain."

Do you think that would tick her off?[:-slaphap

Quote: Well, looks like I won't be getting any referrals from this Realtor...

Give her my name & number. After a few inspections, she'll come running back to you.

Maybe not on purpose, but I think I just took a shot. That's alright, I can deal with a little friendly fire.

Plus, this is only the second inspection (same buyer)-- and I have a feeling she would have preferred to refer just about anyone but me on this one. You may only get one inspection out of her.

Jim,

would you not write up single piece Z flashing at chimneys? I have always written them up.

Here's the Realtor's latest reply vai e- mail:

Brandon, I don't think what the loan underwriters are going to want is what you are going to be willing to say, so I'm not sure at this point you will be much help, I will check in with the loan people and see what I can do. No underwriters are going to pass a loan on a property with a reinspection saying there is no way you will guarantee the roof won't leak. What underwriters will want to see is that all the repairs have been made to your satisfaction and obviously you aren't able to do that.

Do you think that would tick her off?

It might. But when I've done it, they accepted the letter, submitted it with the rest of the paperwork and the loan flew through. I suspect that no one actually reads these things.

Quote: Well, looks like I won't be getting any referrals from this Realtor...

Maybe not on purpose, but I think I just took a shot. That's alright, I can deal with a little friendly fire.

None intended. I'll try again. Give her my name & number. After a few inspections she'll give up on both of us and go running to the franchise inspectors that she deserves.

Jim,

would you not write up single piece Z flashing at chimneys? I have always written them up.

I'd prefer to see a cricket on wider chimneys. Failing that, I don't see a whole lot of downside to a one-piece flashing -- assuming that it's well installed. As you said, the biggest advantage of a two-piece system is that it can deal with movement a little better. Yet I've never seen a one-piece job fail from movement. As far as I can tell, both methods work fine as long as they're installed far enough up the slope of the roof.

I've also found that single-piece step flashing work ok as long as they're not fastened to the roof deck.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Quote: You know, it would be a lot more fun if you just went ahead and wrote the clear letter. I've done it once or twice. Something like, "I've inspected the repairs to this roof and I feel that it should perform well for the next 3-5 years as long as it isn't exposed to wind or rain."

It might. But when I've done it, they accepted the letter, submitted it with the rest of the paperwork and the loan flew through. I suspect that no one actually reads these things.

Jim,

I thought you were joking about writing that letter. It makes me wonder if there's any way you could be held liable for "tricking" them into thinking you were giving a 3-5 year roof cert.

Quote: You know, it would be a lot more fun if you just went ahead and wrote the clear letter. I've done it once or twice. Something like, "I've inspected the repairs to this roof and I feel that it should perform well for the next 3-5 years as long as it isn't exposed to wind or rain."

Jim,

I thought you were joking about writing that letter. It makes me wonder if there's any way you could be held liable for "tricking" them into thinking you were giving a 3-5 year roof cert.

I don't know. Here's a copy of the letter I wrote the first time I did it. They hired me because the appraiser though that there might be a problem with the deck.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009218155130_Something%20wrong.jpg

84.44 KB

They instructed me to inspect the deck and write whatever I wanted as long as I concluded that the deck was safe. So, mercenary soul that I am, I took the job.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Conditional reinspection.pdf

134.67 KB

- Jim in Oregon