New "Old" Product

hausdok

Hi All,

The devestation in Florida and the high cost of wood, and woods apparent susceptibility to rot and insect infestation today vs. older wood of the same species, has had me wondering about other building methods. I've been exploring some alternative building technologies on various building science sites and found a link to this product. Has anyone ever seen this system used?

I actually got directed to this site from the PATH site. According to the company, they've been around since 1953, yet I've never seen or heard about it.

Here's the link: Durisol Dry-laid Block System

Input anyone?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Not this system but I run into dry laid CMU foundations in the Bay area fairly often and have yet to find a problem with one. And this is an area where 1 out of 5 houses I inspect has significant foundation cracking. For my money you can't beat properly filled and re-enforced CMU walls, dry laid or otherwise.

Hi Crusty,

Thanks for your response. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say you can't beat CMU walls, because conventionally placed concrete walls have a whole lot more lateral strength than CMU's, despite filling and rebar, but what was unique about this product is that it is a wood/cement product like Hardiplank and has been around since long before Hardiplank ever existed. That's the primary reason I'm curious about it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike