Washer dryer or a combo

moss

My kitchen is quite small. I prefer a washer dryer than a combo, but I heard a combo is better. Which one is better? Should i have my kitchen fixed so i can have a built in washer? Will it be inconvenient if one day the washer's broken and needs to be fixed?

My kitchen is quite small. I prefer a washer dryer than a combo, but I heard a combo is better. Which one is better? Should i have my kitchen fixed so i can have a built in washer? Will it be inconvenient if one day the washer's broken and needs to be fixed?

It's amazing the folks that find this place. Tis from the UK - welcome to the States.

As to which one is better is depends a lot on your use. Washing for a family of 6 or 1? I would think the combo's are more of a light duty machine than the seperate units.

Any friends that can refer a good tradesman/plumber to look at your home and advise?

I would not go with a built in unit. Allow for the appliances to be replaced as needed. Separate dryer mounted on a shelf above the washer.

That's like saying don't have a built in dishwasher. Unlike here, it's very normal to have the laundry in the kitchen in Europe and if I cared at all what my kitchen looked like, I wouldn't hesitate to go the built-in route. I've been away from Blighty too long to say this with 100% certainty, but I would be willing to bet that there are very standards sizes as well as rough-outs and that replacement, if and when needed, wouldn't be a hassle at all.

I would not go with a built in unit. Allow for the appliances to be replaced as needed. Separate dryer mounted on a shelf above the washer.

That's like saying don't have a built in dishwasher. Unlike here, it's very normal to have the laundry in the kitchen in Europe and if I cared at all what my kitchen looked like, I wouldn't hesitate to go the built-in route.

Thanks, Richard. I should have realized he was talking a different language. [:)]

Personally, I don't care for the way the stackers are shoehorned into closets in this country, with bifold doors that hit the handles of the machines and no possible access to the plumbing shutoffs. Builtin units would be an improvement to some of the setups I see.