Anyone know what this is?

nookandcranny

This is in the basement bathroom of a house built in 1964. Is it a valve shut-off or something? The top, although it has a hex nut on it, has a square stem. It's in a corner, about 2 feet from the foundation wall in one direction, and 4 feet from the other foundation wall. There is a cleanout in the slab about 4 feet away, and the standpipe is maybe 7 feet away. The area has a history of plumbing backing up when the soil is saturated (alot of the area is reclaimed wetlands). Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Julie

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011326143956_mystery.jpg

13.25 KB

It's likely what Kibbel said.

Tell them what it is, it's probably not functional, most current codes prohibit them (around here, anyway), and it likely means the sewer backs up.

I'd tell them to have the sewer scoped to determine it's condition, and then have the plumber advise them on leaving it or removing it.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I should say to the client about it? Other than noting its presence (and it happens to be a bit of a trip hazard), I don't know if I should tell him to operate it in the event of backflow.

From the conditions and history you described in the first post, you might recommend replacing it with an updated backflow valve that operates automatically. It would also eliminate the valve stem, replacing it with a clean-out cap.

This is what I wrote in an addendem to the report:

I posted this picture and some other pertinent information on an online inspector’s forum for some other eyes to look at it. The consensus is it is probably an old manual sewage backflow valve. It's probably not functional, and it likely means the sewer backs up (which seems to happen in that part of Amherst when the soil is very soggy).

The recommendation is to have a plumber scope the sewer to determine its condition, and then have the plumber advise them on leaving it or removing it.

You may want to have it replaced with an updated backflow valve that operates automatically. It would also eliminate the valve stem, replacing it with a clean-out cap.

You can view the post and see the contributors by using this link:

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... C_ID=13870