deck attachment

John Dirks Jr

Usually it's 40 psf. Here are Baltimore, Carroll, and Howard Counties specs - all give directions for using Ledger Lok or similar. The Howard one is real prescriptive. If you read through them they reference the 40 psf live load.

I know this is boring to anyone not in Maryland, my apologies, but you may want to check the latest in your own locales.

It is my understanding that the Fairfax County Virginia specs are a model for many places, and I have included those, they have a lot of very specific info on using screws such as Ledger-Lok.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif BaltCountyDeck.pdf

199.5 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Carroll decks.pdf

283.22 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Howard Decks.pdf

962.84 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Fairfax Deck.pdf

1293.96 KB

According to the charts with live load 40psi and these particular joist spans of less than 8', it looks like there are enough fasteners. There are two in each joist bay which would make them and average of 8" apart on a staggered pattern.

Thanks for posting all the deck guidelines Charlie. I just used them to verify incorrect lag bolting of railing posts on another job.