deck attachment

John Dirks Jr

This is the first time I've seen fasteners this small. They look like ones I saw in a JLC article. However, in the article they were not using them for a deck attachment. Even then, they should have washers I believe.

There are two fasteners per bay all the way across. I'm not sure of their shear strength and they sure look like they could use washers to prevent from pulling through.

The last attachment is a ThruLok bulletin but I dont know if these are ThruLok screws on this deck. Anyway, you can see in the bulletin that they should have washers on the outer side.

Have you seen these before? Is this a suitable deck attachment?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1220584.JPG

82.51 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1220585.JPG

74.53 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1220586.JPG

85.99 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1220574.JPG

100.8 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif thrulok-sell-sheet.pdf

440.96 KB

Yeah,

There are about half a dozen various screws designed and rated for ledger to house attachment now. Most of them are self-drilling types and I guess it's up to the screw manufacturer whether or not they're supposed to have washers. Absent instructions from the screw manufacturer, you're kind of screwed. I'd probably recommend the buyer find out who built the deck, then contact the contractor to find out who made the screws and then use that information to determine if they'd been installed in accordance with the manufacturer's specs.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Simpson clearly marks the heads, so it's easy to identify if they're correct for the application.

I can't read what's on the heads in the OP's pics.

Yes, they're marked. But I wouldn't agree with the clearly part. I've had a hard time seeing the marking when holding one loose in my hands. It's hard to put much of a marking on such a tiny surface.

You can tell who the rich Inspectors are, they wear the gold rings![:D]

That, or a brass compression ferrule? About 4 mm?

"You intend to spend 10 dollars to buy this woman a ring? Look at this, solid brass and a buck and half takes it away! I know it'll fit her, I got it from the nose of a savage!" Groucho Marx, A night at the Opera

Download the Baltimore County deck specs, they state "House band board - use minimum 1/2" carriage stagger bolted 16" or minimum 2 Ledger Locks 16" on center." I think the rest of the Maryland counties are the same but they haven't updated their on-line specs to say that yet. I know I've seen it in Carroll and Anne Arundel.

The three rings of marriage are:

engagement ring

wedding ring

suffer ring

This is why I've always leased and never bought. Once they get miled up, scratched, dented, and start making noise, You can turn them in for a new one and not take the hit for depreciation

Dented? You talking about a car or wives?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

engagement ring

wedding ring

suffer ring

This is why I've always leased and never bought. Once they get miled up, scratched, dented, and start making noise, You can turn them in for a new one and not take the hit for depreciation

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Cellulite. [;)]

engagement ring

wedding ring

suffer ring

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Cellulite. [;)]
Oh, I'd always thought of that as hail stone damage. [:-jump2]

Checked in for the latest on a couple of other counties in Maryland (Howard & Carroll) and their specs for ledger attachment say "For other approved attachment such as LedgerLok: Fastener shall be 7? oc staggered up to 12? joist span, 5? oc over 12?." I believe your picture indicates the need for more fasteners.