Upcoming change to Maryland's SOP

This will be voted on by the commissioners at the October meeting as a change to the Maryland Standards Of Practice (SOP);

The proposed additions to the SoP are in Bold & Underlined

Title 09

Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation

Subtitle 36 C om mission of Real Estate Appraisers and Hom e Inspectors?Home Inspectors

Chapter 07 Minimum Standards of Practice

.07 Plumbing System

A. A home inspector shall visually inspect the plumbing system, including:

(5) Fuel storage and fuel distribution systems, including the possible presence of corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) flexible gas piping

B. A home inspector shall describe the plumbing system, including;

(4) the presence of corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) flexible gas distribution piping, if applicable. If CSST is present, the inspector shall report the product requires special electrical bonding that should be confirmed by a qualified licensed electrical contractor

.08 Electrical Systems

A. A home inspector shall visually inspect an electrical system, including:

(4) Service grounding;

C. If applicable, a home inspector shall include in a written report the:

(3) the presence of CSST gas piping with the recommendation such piping should be reviewed by a qualified licensed electrical contractor for proper bonding

D. A home inspector is not required to:

(1) Inspect:

(e) the existing bonding method for any potential CSST gas piping

I am simply posting this for Maryland inspectors information so don't shoot the messenger.

Nothing boils my blood like a regulatory body not only requiring a recommendation in our reports on the presence of certain materials but specifying the precise language that we must use. They want to impose their boilerplate on us as if only they know how to formulate recommendations but leave client complaints and claims on our plate.

It must be a trend of the times. Louisiana's own Board of HI's considered such an addition this past Friday about how HI's should report on PB piping. I won't have the minutes until 3 months from now.

Anyone know if ASHI set a precedent on this?

Marc

Don't really see any changes here.

A. A home inspector shall visually inspect the plumbing system including:

(5) Fuel storage and fuel distribution systems;

They already tell you to inspect the distribution system.

B. A home inspector shall describe the plumbing system including:

Now they just want to make sure you describe (in writing) the fuel distribution system (if it's a garden hose, say so).

Finally they want you to recommend bonding be checked by a licensed electrician.

Already did all that so what's the big deal? No Marc there is no specific language being dictated, you just have to include certain information worded any way you like as long as it is readily understandable.

Don't really see any changes here.

A. A home inspector shall visually inspect the plumbing system including:

(5) Fuel storage and fuel distribution systems;

They already tell you to inspect the distribution system.

B. A home inspector shall describe the plumbing system including:

Now they just want to make sure you describe (in writing) the fuel distribution system (if it's a garden hose, say so).

Finally they want you to recommend bonding be checked by a licensed electrician.

Already did all that so what's the big deal? No Marc there is no specific language being dictated, you just have to include certain information worded any way you like as long as it is readily understandable.

True, there's no specific language dictated here like our own Board considered recently but it's still a big big deal. They are telling you what to recommend. It crosses a threshold. A recommendation, or the lack of one, can get an HI in trouble real quick. Don't you have an issue with a regulatory body telling you to recommend something when your eyes and expertise tell you if not necessary? I'm licensed as an electrician and can inspect for CSST bonding, not that I need a license to know that. Any HI can learn how to check for that. Each recommendation for an electrician or any other professional is a burden on the client, a burden that I want to keep to a minimum because they are my client.

If this continues, imagine what it can look like later when regulatory bodies start dictating recommendation language for everything. An upset client looks at you, not the regulatory body. The regulatory body wants to drive the train but you take responsibility for whatever happens.

Marc

Marc, I don't see anything wrong with it. It makes it clear that licensed inspectors are to report on CSST and verify that it is bonded or not and if so what needs to be done. They are taking the liability burden monkey off the inspectors back and put it on whoever the inspection is for.

We should all be doing this now to some extent......

What would ASHI have to do with this?

It also requires a recommendation.

All of our board members are ASHI members and as faithful disciples, tend to follow whatever ASHI does. So when a threshold is crossed, such as requiring specific recommendation language if PB is present, I look to see if ASHI did something.

Marc

It also requires a recommendation.

All of our board members are ASHI members and as faithful disciples, tend to follow whatever ASHI does. So when a threshold is crossed, such as requiring specific recommendation language if PB is present, I look to see if ASHI did something.

Marc

I look at it in a different light..... I think it shows that the Maryland board is looking out for the home inspector. For about the past two years ASHI has been working on a rewrite of their Standards, but nothing has changed yet and it will most likely be another year before anything happens. Before the ASHI Standards can be changed it must be voted on by the ASHI membership. Then if it is passed it goes out for publication.