Exterior concrete window sill repair

omagic12

OK, I'll go redneck.....

If this was architecture (which I devoutly believe is Art), I'd be puking.

Since it's a concrete block house in central Florida, I don't think it's architecture. It's a concrete block house.

If I was inspecting the joint, I'd probably tell folks it's a cheap repair, but it'll probably work for at least a decade and then they can fix it again themselves.

Yes, the rebar will continue to corrode, and eventually make repair necessary again. If it was a multi-story structure where some rusting rebar could cause a life safety hazard or some similarly serious issue, I'd say do it all over again.

But, it's not. It's a single story concrete block house fer chrissakes. We're not talking bleeding on the brightwork here.....

Kurt, if you are going to go Redneck you will need a can of PBR in one hand, a Marlborough in the other and Kenny Chesney blaring from your truck or trailer.

The likely scenario is whoever buys my place will want to modernize it with new windows and stucco.The playdough exterior home look is popular on my street. The sill will get addressed at that point.

Because I am here and you are there, I cannot comfortably confirm nor deny your repair, but...

Your repair looks just like what it is; a repair.

No matter how nicely you paint it, it will always stick out like a sore thumb, and will be questioned by whomever looks at it.

The reason for the form (in the "how to" info you posted) is to give you a straight edge. Yours is a curvy as my girlfriend in a bathing suit. The problem is that she is supposed to be, and your window sill is not.

The best repair is one that you cannot notice.

I would have tried to blend in the joint (perhaps with a sponge or brush), and after the concrete dries I would use a paint roller to match and blend in the finish.

I would have also taped off the window frame to keep it clean. Now you should carefully clean it.

I don't mean to be critical, and as I stated; it may function well. It is just ugly and obtrusive.

Steve,

I'm having a hard time understanding the gist of your comments. I think you need to post a picture of your girlfriend in a bathing suit so that we can better understand the technical subtleties of your post.

Because I am here and you are there, I cannot comfortably confirm nor deny your repair, but...

Your repair looks just like what it is; a repair.

No matter how nicely you paint it, it will always stick out like a sore thumb, and will be questioned by whomever looks at it.

The reason for the form (in the "how to" info you posted) is to give you a straight edge. Yours is a curvy as my girlfriend in a bathing suit. The problem is that she is supposed to be, and your window sill is not.

The best repair is one that you cannot notice.

I would have tried to blend in the joint (perhaps with a sponge or brush), and after the concrete dries I would use a paint roller to match and blend in the finish.

I would have also taped off the window frame to keep it clean. Now you should carefully clean it.

I don't mean to be critical, and as I stated; it may function well. It is just ugly and obtrusive.

Steve,

I'm having a hard time understanding the gist of your comments. I think you need to post a picture of your girlfriend in a bathing suit so that we can better understand the technical subtleties of your post.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131217212158_Olive%20Oyl.jpg

6.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131217212214_Olive%20Oyl%20Cariocan.jpg

5.95 KB

Sorry Jim,

I can't post pictures of my girlfriend, everything I have is just too spicey for this type of forum. I would hate to get banned. She is Cariocan, need I say more?

I did find pictures of Olive Oyl that define curvy. Can quess which one is Cariocan?