Leaking polyurethane at waterproofing injection

Mike Lamb

It looks like they do not properly seal the surface before injecting with polyurethane. That is not a large amount of leakage, so it may be no big deal. The important thing with injection is to go back and reinject each port after moving up to the next port or two.

Only time will tell whether there will be leakage at the crack. Generally polyurethane is better than epoxy for non-structural crack repair, especially is the house is less than about 2 year old.

It looks like they do not properly seal the surface before injecting with polyurethane. That is not a large amount of leakage, so it may be no big deal. The important thing with injection is to go back and reinject each port after moving up to the next port or two.

Only time will tell whether there will be leakage at the crack. Generally polyurethane is better than epoxy for non-structural crack repair, especially is the house is less than about 2 year old.

I have seen many injections and have done some myself. I would call that a lot of leakage and why the less than 2 year observation?

When epoxy injection is performed before the foundation has fully cured additional cracks often develop due to the additional shrinkage. After about 2 years additional shrinkage from curing should not occur.

Yes, it is more leakage than typical, but considering how much polyurethane expands it does not amount to a large amount of material. As I stated, it is more important whether they reinjected the holes. If the cracks were very small it is possibly that the improper surface sealing prevented the installer from applying enough pressure to fully inject the cracks. That is where time will tell.