balcony roofing material

Chad Fabry

I thought that ultimately none of this would even be showing; it's all under a deck.

Sounding dickish there Marcus. The solder job looks good. In fact, it looks excellent. I've done this shit. It's really ****ing hard. The guys I know that do it all day...their seams look like this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc, I did a couple seams where I really laid on the lead but it's a waste of product. Draw the solder into the joint and use enough so that the bottom puddle sweeps up to the top sheet and that's enough. I watched videos where the installer went back after the joint was done and using a cooler iron, he left the bird tracks that are consistent with TIG welding

It's a real chore keeping the iron clean enough to use. I had to stop every 8-12 inches and rub the tip on a bar of sal ammoniac and then dip it in Ruby Fluid.

On a side note, I had to re-build my eleven year old balcony before I even started. When I first built it, rain was coming so I laid two coats of oil based paint on the OSB deck and installed a wall to deck flashing - just to get it through the week until I could roof it. The following week I installed Liberty roofing (really gooey two- part peel and stick) over the deck and the flashing, then I installed another wall-to-deck flashing over everything. Since then, water has been hitting the overhanging edge of the first flashing and wicking around through capillary action. The OSB moved the water 7 feet horizontally. The decking was ruined, the framing was ruined.

I always install drip edge on the rakes but for whatever reason, I omitted it on my own house. It was a three-day, two-thousand dollar mistake.