apollo hydro heat

emerychris

I recently noticed that I have a Apollo hyro heat heater, my hot water heater rusted out so I replaced it with a 50gal rheem from home depot. Since then I have hot water but only when the heater is not running. Basically when the heater is running I have no hot water. What are my options? Did I buy the wrong water heater? What should I do?

I recently noticed that I have a Apollo hyro heat heater, my hot water heater rusted out so I replaced it with a 50gal rheem from home depot. Since then I have hot water but only when the heater is not running. Basically when the heater is running I have no hot water. What are my options? Did I buy the wrong water heater? What should I do?

Well, if it was working before you fixed it, and it's not working after you fixed it, they you did something wrong. First of all, water heaters that serve both hydro-heat furnaces and domestic hot water nearly always have a much higher btu/hr rating than a standard unit from Home Depot. If the old tank is still around, check its btu/hr rating. The new one *must* match the btu rating of the old one.

Next, it was probably set to produce very hot water and use a tempering valve to lower the temperature of the water that goes to the sinks, tubs, showers, & so forth. You might have messed that up somehow.

Some of the more sophisticated set-ups include a system that gives first priority to hot water for domestic use and second priority to heating. You might have messed that up.

Some of these water heaters have entirely separate taps for heating and cooling. If your original one did and the replacement one doesn't, then all sorts of other things might be wrong.

Jim Katen

Yeah, I distinctly remember there being 4 hookups with tube coming out. Since the new water heater only has 2 now. So that is more than likely the problem. Unfortunately anyone I call only tells me I need a whole new heating and cooling system because they have no clue what's going on either. I've had 2 companies come over that honesty didn't give me a price because they were so confused. I am also very confused

Yeah, I distinctly remember there being 4 hookups with tube coming out. Since the new water heater only has 2 now. So that is more than likely the problem. Unfortunately anyone I call only tells me I need a whole new heating and cooling system because they have no clue what's going on either. I've had 2 companies come over that honesty didn't give me a price because they were so confused. I am also very confused

Yes you need a new unit. I assume you are in a condo. Go to one of your neighbors, check out how their unit is installed and then you can try again.

Thanks for the help everyone. In response to the last reply. No unfortunately I am NOT in a condo. It's a 1200 sq foot house. I wish I could look at a neighbors and see how it is hooked up. But I can't. And I don't have the previous water heater anymore the trash already picked it up. Evidently this setup is extremely rare which could be the reason no one knows what to do. Any other insight is also helpful. Thanks guys.

Keep trying. Call around until you find the company in town that works on these systems. There's got to be at least one in a city like Knoxville.

You want to find a tech who's been doing this for 20-30 years. He'll understand the system and get you fixed up.

He might tell you that you need to buy another water heater. In that case, consider saving the one you bought and dedicating it exclusively to potable water. Then let the new one work exclusively with the heating system. Home depot is unlikely to take yours back and having two separate systems will make future troubleshooting easier on everyone.