Looking for Lighter Ladder

aaronm

On 1/25/2023 at 1:18 PM, Bill Kibbel said:

I had an MRI show 2 of my disks 'exploded'.  I hope you can get some relief, Steve.

I have to use a 28' ladder almost daily.  I also have a 32', 20' & 16' for occasional use.  I'm sticking with aluminum.  I think they're all probably lighter than LG's 'HyperLite' line.  For example, my Werner 28' is 38 lbs.  The 28' LG HyperLite is 50 lbs.  It's also out of stock and ugly ServePro green. 😝

Thanks Bill...

I did look into those Werner ladders... the Werner 16ft is 31lbs (LG Fiberglass is 28lbs)... the 24ft is 45lbs (LG Fiberglass is 42lbs), the 28ft Werner is 56lbs (LG Fiberglass is 50lbs), and The Werner 32ft is 68lbs and the LG is 61lbs. Something that I didn't know until I looked at the differences is that LG is using "Maximum Reach Height" based on some ANSI standard - so the Werner's might actually be longer than the LG ladders. Ultimately, they're pretty close for most sizes, but in my mind, shaving off even a little bit of that carry weight is probably worth it. Which means I'm still sold on the LG at this point.

Something else when doing this comparison though, the LG are fiberglass, have a lifetime limited warranty, and the bright green I consider to be a safety feature. As for Werner, definitely a top tier brand for a reason - and they do have a lot of safety add-ons available for their ladders - but I can't find any information about their warranty. Incidentally I do have a Werner fiberglass Type I 6ft step ladder. It's been a great ladder, don't get me wrong, but I'm trying to be as lightweight as I can be.

Oh, I did discover that LG's Conquest 2.0 multi-ladder (I don't know how new it is) can reach the same distance as the 16ft at 7lbs more in weight, plus you get the flexibility of the multi-ladder if that's needed. I think the Werner M17 aluminum multi-ladder was a touch lighter though.

Again, thanks for the info, it kinda pushed me to do a little more research... and if price becomes an issue for me, the Werner will definitely win on that count.

Edited by Steve M

Steve, what you listed are not what my Werner ladders weigh.  For example, my 16' is 18 lbs, not 31.  Again, my 28' is 38 lbs, not 56.

Maybe you're only looking at type 1A aluminum ladders.  That load capacity rating is unnecessary for what I do. I scurry up and down ladders a few times a day.  If I was over 300 lbs and perpetually carrying 4 bundles of shingles up to the roof, I might need it.

Never had a defect that would need warranty coverage.  I've replaced ropes and a couple moving parts after a couple decades of use.  4 years ago, I replaced my most used 28' after 31 years only because of its appearance.  I still use it around the homestead.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bill Kibbel said:

Steve, what you listed are not what my Werner ladders weigh.  For example, my 16' is 18 lbs, not 31.  Again, my 28' is 38 lbs, not 56.

Maybe you're only looking at type 1A aluminum ladders.  That load capacity rating is unnecessary for what I do. I scurry up and down ladders a few times a day.  If I was over 300 lbs and perpetually carrying 4 bundles of shingles up to the roof, I might need it.

Never had a defect that would need warranty coverage.  I've replaced ropes and a couple moving parts after a couple decades of use.  4 years ago, I replaced my most used 28' after 31 years only because of its appearance.  I still use it around the homestead.

Can't compare apples to apples if oranges are being tossed onto the field... So are you using Type III ladders?

Edited by Steve M

On 1/31/2023 at 11:21 AM, Bill Kibbel said:

No, it's comparing heavy apples to lighter apples.  The topic here is "Looking for lighter ladder".

I still think we're comparing apples and oranges as it relates to type and material - they're both fruit (apples oranges) just as the ladders in question are substantially different in noticeable ways (they're both ladders but they don't carry the same weight and one will certainly get you electrocuted if it contacts live overhead feeds while the other won't, etc)... so yeah, apples and oranges, but they're both ladders. It really is ok that we disagree, or at least it should be. None of the 16ft to 28ft extensions ladders we spoke of will fit IN the OPs vehicle anyway.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:54 AM, aaronm said:

I might be able to make 80 inches work. 72 inches would be better.

Little Giant's King Combo 2.0 might work for you. Not sure about availability but you could try Lowe's.

The Model 6 Fiberglass Industrial (13906-071) is 27lbs at ~73inches stored (type IAA - 375lbs)

The Model 6 Aluminum Professional (14906-001) is 21.5lbs at ~73 inches stored (Type IA - 300lbs)