90 Plus Furnance Vents

Bryan

Hi,

Well, my HVAC CodeCheck is a few years old, but I've got:

- Vent termination and ir intake min 12in. above grade & any bldg. opening (IRC 2426.8/UMC 806.6)

- Vent termination not located where vapors or condensate would be a nuisance (IRC 2426.8/UMC 806.6)

- Vent termination min. 3ft. above any forced-air inlet (not furnace intake) (IRC 2426.8/UMC 806.6)

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

Yeah, I would think that the nuisance thing would apply. However, I pulled my regular code check and saw this:

- 4ft. below or side and 1ft. above window or door. (IRC 2426.8/UMC 806.6).

Not sure why that wasn't included in the HVAC Code Check. Did you call the local code guru to see what's accepted in that muni, or check the installation manual (usually on the side of the unit) to see what's recommended by the manufacturer?

OT - OF!!!

M.

NO not yet. This was a construction mogtage inspection to check the work in place. there were a large number of problems through out the property. 2 of the furnance unit vent pipes in the basement were broken and not venting outside. The owners did "not feel that it was a problem they are high efficent units" I disagreeded with him. Luckly no one is living in that wing of the building.The project is being done by a couple of "sxxx lxxxx" with little common sense.

Bryan

Originally posted by Bryan

2 of the furnance unit vent pipes in the basement were broken and not venting outside. The owners did "not feel that it was a problem they are high efficent units"

90+ condensing furnaces can easily produce killing amounts of CO, not to mention lower levels that can also cause permanent health problems.

I've tested some.

Not to mention the fact that even a well adjusted furnace with normal amounts of CO will start prtoducing high levels as the space fills with CO2 displacing available oxygen.

For clearances, you ultimately have to check the installation manual.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Bryan

2 of the furnance unit vent pipes in the basement were broken and not venting outside. The owners did "not feel that it was a problem they are high efficent units"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut and dry. They are not venting outside.