Heat Pumps, Split Systems and Air Conditioners

ChipR

I am just happy to have received some attention. I have been a carpenter building residential homes for the past 25 years.

I have been looking at the HP's and now recognize the reversing valve. However, I have only seen a small liquid line and the large gas line, never have I seen both of them the same size. I have seen 3 lines, 2 small and one large. One of the small ones had a small barrel looking thing attached. I would like somebody to explain the purpose of that device.

Chip

The lines on a heat pump will be the same as an air conditioner. One large. One small.

The barrel thingy is a drier. It's put on when the system is opened, like to put in a new compressor. It filters out contaminants. Look at the ends. They rust and leak. If you see oil on the rust, that's a leak.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ChipR

The house was warm and cozy. It had electric heat. It was difficult to tell if it was a heat pump or a air conditioner since the label was faded. I would like to now how I can tell the differance between heat pumps and air conditioners when it can't be read on the label? Chip

Chip, Look inside the compressor (outside unit).

A heat pump will have a visible reversing valve that will look like a solenoide with refrigerant piped into and out of it and conducors that control direction.