Bent Mast Head

dtontarski

I thought I'd seen bent mast heads addressed on the forum before, but my search attempts failed. We get a lot of heavy ice build up and tree damage to the service drops around here and I see mast heads with slight bends frequently. Should I always call out bent mast heads and recommend further evaluation? This one today had a pretty good bend. It looks like once upon a time it had guy wires. Is this a definite replacement or would new guy wires be adequate? How should I write this observation up?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Jane 047.jpg

168.76 KB

Originally posted by dtontarski

I thought I'd seen bent mast heads addressed on the forum before, but my search attempts failed. We get a lot of heavy ice build up and tree damage to the service drops around here and I see mast heads with slight bends frequently. Should I always call out bent mast heads and recommend further evaluation? This one today had a pretty good bend. It looks like once upon a time it had guy wires. Is this a definite replacement or would new guy wires be adequate? How should I write this observation up?

I think that mast would be fine if someone added some stout guy cables.

I'd also mention the crappy flashing.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim -

I took a look in the Hansen book...and based on that I recommended replacement, new guy cables, or bracing....but I left is as - base the corrections on a further evaluation by an electrician (visit necessary due to panel issues). Yea the roofer did a nice job installing the third layer of shingles, but didn't have a clue about flashing. Thanks again and again....your responses have been very helpful.