Split-Face Block

Jerry Simon

At this point, I've of the mind that it all is pretty bad.

Obviously, flashing, wicks, weeps, expansion joints in all the places you should have them (foundation, above & below windows & doors, under coping, @ floor platforms, etc.), & "dryblock" head the list of what you gotta have. After that, I'm always looking for the hairline fracture cracks that seem to be everywhere.

If there's evidence of goofballs coming back & smearing Type N over all the hairline cracks, that's as damning as anything I can imagine. When you see the thoroseal on the interior of the parapet walls, it means someone's trying to keep water out there too.

If it's a solid wall, i.e., not cavity wall, it's just plain bad. Never seen a good one. I've even been recommending Modac sealants as means of trying to keep the water out.

Anywhere there is a steel stair support penetrating the block, the water flows in. Any other sort of penetration is the same.

Originally posted by kurt

Obviously, flashing, wicks, weeps, expansion joints in all the places you should have them (foundation, above & below windows & doors, under coping, @ floor platforms, etc.), & "dryblock" head the list of what you gotta have.

Yeah, Dry-Block, that's what I was looking for...thanks.

Any ready way to know if any certain split-face was made with or without Dry-Block? (Probably not, my guess.)