Commercial heater in a garage

Reubeyred

I recently inspected a house that had a garage heater installed that was listed for "Commercial / Industrial Use Only". I told the buyer that if the manufacturer wouldn't bless the installation for residential use, then I wouldn't either. I also told the buyer that I honestly didn't know what problems could occur with this installation - the heater looked just like any other residential garage heater, and functioned fine.

Does anyone know of any potential problems with this installation? I'd like to have a better answer the next time I run across something like this.

Originally posted by Reubeyred

I recently inspected a house that had a garage heater installed that was listed for "Commercial / Industrial Use Only". I told the buyer that if the manufacturer wouldn't bless the installation for residential use, then I wouldn't either. I also told the buyer that I honestly didn't know what problems could occur with this installation - the heater looked just like any other residential garage heater, and functioned fine.

Does anyone know of any potential problems with this installation? I'd like to have a better answer the next time I run across something like this.

Well, to start with, it's probably oversized for a residential garage.

The commercial/industrial use is related to the ANSI standard that it meets. There are different standards for residential and commercial/industrial equipment. The difference could simply be that units intended for residential use have to be more efficient or quieter.

- Jim Katen, Oregon