Paper underlayment on a modular

mridgeelk

Hi,

Is it a modular or a manufactured home? It looks like Vaporstop 398 which is made by Fortifiber and is typically used as underlayment on low-slope roofs where insulation is applied to the underside of the roof deck (as with manufactured homes - doublewides). It's supposed to minimize condensation. There's also a type of plywood used for manufactured home roofs that has a layer of this bonded in the center. One manufactured home builder that I talked to about it called it Dryply.

Here's a link: http://www.fortifiber.com/vaporstop_398.html

What's the pitch of the roof?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Many manufacturers of both manufactured and modular home use products similar to the one depicted in the photos. Note the widths available and that these rolls can be ordered doubled enable the manufacturer to underlay the roof in one operation.

Image Insert:

2008102814615_Ply%20Dry%20a.jpg

145.51 KB

Image Insert:

200810281472_Ply%20Dry%20b.jpg

327.64 KB

Hi,

Yeah, that's the stuff that I meant when I said DryPly - I'd just reversed the terms. This reinforces what I said earlier; this stuff is meant for manufactured housing - not modular.

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine; we need to use the correct terms when describing stuff, particularly a type of housing. Calling a modular home a manufactured home makes people immediately think "trailer home" and could cause them to run away from a home that's actually built stronger and better than code requires.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It is actually a manufactured home, I had a conversation with my neighbor about the new home a couple of months ago and at that time I thought he said it was a modular unit. Today the owner of the MH company was at the site and due to the homeowner's concerns about the underlayment and how poorly the hinged parts of the roof came together agreed to strip the entire roof including the underlayment, properly repair the hinge joint areas and reshingle the roof. Thanks for the identification of the material.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

Is it a modular or a manufactured home? It looks like Vaporstop 398 which is made by Fortifiber and is typically used as underlayment on low-slope roofs where insulation is applied to the underside of the roof deck (as with manufactured homes - doublewides). It's supposed to minimize condensation. There's also a type of plywood used for manufactured home roofs that has a layer of this bonded in the center. One manufactured home builder that I talked to about it called it Dryply.

Here's a link: http://www.fortifiber.com/vaporstop_398.html

What's the pitch of the roof?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike