This'll Be A First

hausdok

One of the guys in the chapter set his ladder on a painted sidewalk to climb less than ten feet only to find himself on the ground with multiple injuries. It happens.

Roof inspection is a risk management issue for each one of us. I assess each situation from a safety/physics point of view and decide whether I,m getting on the roof or moving the ladder four times.

"Do not be where you do not belong." Bob Dylan

The best thing I have done is to take out Accident Insurance through AFLAC. My is working only for our insurance (and her sanity at times)and we are lucky that her company offers this. Best thing with AFLAC is that once you have the coverage that rate does not go up and if you leave the company you get to keep the insurance as long as you pay the monthly premium.

In our profession people get hurt.

My post was not a lecture. We have a lot of relatively new inspectors read what those of us with many years of experience write. When a newer guy reads our posts and starts thinking all the Big Dogs do something a certain way (like carry 68' long ladders and climb EVERY ROOF, they start thinking they're not doing something they should be doing - then they try to do it and they can get messed up bad).

Definitely not worth it for the average inspection fee. Many roofers in my area won't walk a 9/12, 10/12 or steeper roof without toe-blocks its mind numbing to think the average inspector would try to.

OR we can all be like "Spider-Man" Mulholland in Pensacola and rappel up and down

the vertical walls of 200' high buildings upside down to do inspections. That would really impress our clients on tall roof houses.

Originally posted by hausdok

I was more interested in knowing how many folks carry ladders longer than 22ft, because of the difficulty in transporting them and wrestling them around.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I drive a Ford Ranger pick-up. The 24' extension ladder cost $120. The pipe rack installed on the pick-up to carry the $120 ladder cost $300.[:(] The rack was added after the photo (left) was taken.

Originally posted by hausdok

As you say, we have to make a judgment call based on the type of roof, weather conditions, etc. whether it is safe to so so.

There is a little voice in all of us which tells us when we're overstepping our limits.

Yep, that's about it. There are times when I know before I step out of the truck that I won't be going on the roof, and there are times when I'm up there and moving around before I decide it isn't safe. If I think I can walk it I will, because that's what gives the best information, but it all depends.

My best friend used to ask me why I would kayak whitewater but wouldn't get on a rollercoaster. It's a calculated risk, and I'm the one calculating for me. I'm sure most people would see it the other way around.

Brian G.

Listen to the Little Voice

Originally posted by Brian G.

Brian G.

Listen to the Little Voice

The heck with little voices (I hear them all of the time along with Jimi flashbacks!).

I listen to my body! My kneeeeees can't take those steep pitches anymore. If I attempt to do anything in the 7/12 to 8/12 range even with my Cougar Paws I am hurting for the next few days!

Like I said earlier to each his own poison, but as a sideline comment.

I walked most roofs (about 90%) for 16 years - never had a complaint that I missed something or overlooked something on a roof.

I've now spent the last 12 years where I walk about 35% to 40% of the roofs, and look at most of the rest from a window, with binoculars or on a ladder at the eaves (if a 17' LG gets me up there). I've still NEVER had a complaint, EVER that we missed something or overlooked something up there on the roof.

My point is the 1st 16 years I thought guys that didn't walk 90% of the roofs no matter how tall or steep were wimps or lazy. I no longer believe that walking those BAD BOY ROOF's is really needed in most cases.

Just my opinion.