venting code/procedures

szarin

hello everyone,

i hope to pick your brains for a few minutes, Im a home owner installing a 45,000 btu garage heater and have a two part question. Before you get concerned... I've had an hvac installer run a gas line to my heater and pressure tested the line. I've run the power, and thermostat line myself already. I'm currently about to cut the hole through the side of my garage but have two questions.

I've read up as much as i can regarding the codes, and the do's and don'ts... but still have two quick questions.

I've linked a file for inspecting...

I've got 6" of c' vent going into the "c' vent to b' vent adapter" (not sure technical name.) and then 3' of the b' vent.

(i think i already know the answer to question 1, i checked my furnance and my vent doesnt look the same... but will ask anyways)

Question 1. Do i have the c' vent facing the right direction if the exhaust air is going left to right.

Question 2. I know i am suppose to use 3 screws to attach the vents together, however i read here somewhere your not allowed to pierce the second side wall of the b' vent. If thats true where can i put the 3 screws on the connection from the adapter to the b' vent. If i put the screws where the file is marked, does that not pierce the second side wall of the adapter? I bought self tapping sheet metal screws that are 1/4 long.

Click to View

2009119202542_CIMG2770.jpg

60.03 KB

Originally posted by szarin

hello everyone,

i hope to pick your brains for a few minutes, Im a home owner installing a 45,000 btu garage heater and have a two part question. Before you get concerned... I've had an hvac installer run a gas line to my heater and pressure tested the line. I've run the power, and thermostat line myself already. I'm currently about to cut the hole through the side of my garage but have two questions.

I've read up as much as i can regarding the codes, and the do's and don'ts... but still have two quick questions.

I've got 6" of c' vent going into the "c' vent to b' vent adapter" (not sure technical name.) and then 3' of the b' vent.

(i think i already know the answer to question 1, i checked my furnance and my vent doesnt look the same... but will ask anyways)

Question 1. Do i have the c' vent facing the right direction if the exhaust air is going left to right.

Question 2. I know i am suppose to use 3 screws to attach the vents together, however i read here somewhere your not allowed to pierce the second side wall of the b' vent. If thats true where can i put the 3 screws on the connection from the adapter to the b' vent. If i put the screws where the file is marked, does that not pierce the second side wall of the adapter? I bought self tapping sheet metal screws that are 1/4 long.

Click to View

60.03 KB

I suggest that you go the vent manufacturer's website and look for instructions. Liability-conscious home inspectors are unlikely to give how-to instructions for HVAC hardware.

WJ

Originally posted by szarin

hello everyone,

Click to View

60.03 KB

Call the b vent manufacturer with your question.

I've never heard "c" vent before. Is the single walled vent in your photo pointed in the right direction? NO. If you had to ask this, I'd say you shouldn't be doing the installation.

NOTE: Do not use sheet metal screws at the lock joints

of AmeriVent Model E, R, and O Gas Vents.

The use of screws is permissible only where

mentioned in the installation instructions.

I'm not (and I doubt anyone is) going to provide installation instructions, as there's way too little info provided, and you're using terms, explantions, and pictures that aren't providing anything to work with.

That said, this stuff isn't complicated, and surprisingly, I see screwed up installs by techs all the time. You can do it. B vents snap together, all the hardware is available for perfect installs, and all you gotta do is read the instructions (which apparently you haven't done yet).

Start by downloading all the info on the web and reading it. Everything is there, but don't ask me to provide links. Do your own homework; it'll teach you more doing it that way.

I'm all for DIY, but not the way you're going at it. Come back when you know a little more what you're talking about.