Plexvent/Ultravent

Bain

I typically come across two or three of these a year and tell my clients the pipes have to be replaced, but I've never actually seen one that's failed.

I found this baby yesterday, and the visible portion looked fine--except for the condensate tubing that was detached from the nipple.

Anyhow, I'm curious. Does anyone have photos of an ultravent that's cracked, or that has an obvious leaking joint?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200921021257_DSC00009191.jpg

35.66 KB

I typically come across two or three of these a year and tell my clients the pipes have to be replaced, but I've never actually seen one that's failed.

I found this baby yesterday, and the visible portion looked fine--except for the condensate tubing that was detached from the nipple.

Anyhow, I'm curious. Does anyone have photos of an ultravent that's cracked, or that has an obvious leaking joint?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200921021257_DSC00009191.jpg

35.66 KB

I've seen a few -- maybe less than a dozen. Some were cracked. I wrote up all of them, and attached whatever supporting documents I could dig up.

WJ

Click to Enlarge
200921103544_Picture%20024.jpg

40.67 KB

Click to Enlarge
200921103746_Picture%20023.jpg

43.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
200921103857_Picture%20025.jpg

28.25 KB

This is what I put in the report:

The exhaust vent, known as Ultravent, is made from a material that is subject to failure and is the subject of a recall. The pipe is leaking exhaust gas where it connects to the boiler. Combustion products are entering the

building. The vent should be replaced as soon as possible. See Articles 6C.10,11 and go to http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML98/98072.html for more information.