Insurance Inspections

StevenT

A little while ago I was asked to start a thread regarding Insurance Inspections, I apologize for the delay, I couldn’t avoid it.

Anyway,

For those considering additional inspecting resources, Insurance Inspections is an option. Although some “Insurance Inspectionsâ€

We used to do loss control inspections for a firm that exclusively underwrites policies for homeowner associations. The inspections included all exterior components of the entire community, the association owned buildings and amenities and an interior inspection of one representative residence. These could take one man several hours for a small condo community to all day with several inspectors for large communities and high-rise. We charged as much as we would if we were spending our time on individual inspections plus a little extra for the length of the reports. The only hassle was a few property management companies would make scheduling difficult.

The firm hired a new VP to handle loss control and we no longer hear from them. Probably found someone cheaper.

• 2 months later...

I was contacted in mid April by one of these insuance/property management firms to do an inspection about 10 miles away. I tried to negotiate $50 fee but was told they only pay $35. I was to take about 200 pictures and fill in their form. I reluctantly agreed since business is slow. The morning I was to go out I made a quick check of my email and there was a message stating that the inspection was cancelled. (%$#@$$&$#).

I figured they found somone else. But could call me.

Are we getting that desparate as inspectors that we settle for chicken scratch and these insuance companies eat meat?

Chuck

Chuck,

Up until recently, I was doing insurance inspections for a company that subs them out.

They were giving me as many as I wanted to do (sure), and I would commonly do about 15 in a day. They were all in a very localized area, and since I would plan my route carefully, I would only drive about 8 miles, once I got to my first inspection. Although some paid more, the average inspection paid approx. $35.00. The inspections took abou 20 minutes each.

Well, one would think thak 15 inspections x $35 is an acceptable days pay, but by the time I finished the reports, add another two days. When you calculate time, tolls, gas, insurance, an occaisional parking ticket, forgetting a measuring wheel, using up my camera... well, all of a sudden it's not such a great deal.

Even though each average inspection only took 20 minutes or so, it included a great deal of information. I cannot tell you how frustrating it made me.

Lately, I just don't seem to be able to get myself out there to do them. Don't get me wrong, I happened to like the people very much, and they paid quickly. I also enjoyed the physical part of the inspections, as I was exposed to some very unusual things. I also admit that I probably took longer to do the reports than some might, only due to my anal ways, and I admit that I find it difficult to concentrate for long periods of time when doing any report or paperwork.

In order to make these "inspections" economically feasible they have to be located in a small geographic area. To do 14 in an 8 mile radius is good but 5 in a 120 mile radius is bad! I did them for awhile but south Texas is too large, the diagrams required for large houses were time consuming and it was not worth the time spent/required.