gap between garage floor & foundation wall

In the garage at yesterday's inspection, one of the exterior walls had been bumped out, and there is a 3" gap between the foundation wall and the poured concrete floor. It's just one of dozens of unfinished projects in this foreclosed home. I'm not sure what to say about this, or if I need to say anything at all. All the stuff in the gap is just clutter, by the way.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200942913856_garage%20floor.jpg

23.42 KB

Was the foundation stem wall bumped out? Seems kinda odd.

Maybe someone cut the slab back to run a new water line?

If the foundation wall was bumped out, then I'd write up the gap as a potential trip hazard and recommend they fill it in.

EDIT:

If the foundation wall was bumped out, then I'd write up the gap as a potential trip hazard and recommend they fill it in.

Wow, I just read my post. I would write up the gap whether or not the foundation wall was bumped out. [:-paperba

Was the foundation stem wall bumped out? Seems kinda odd.

Maybe someone cut the slab back to run a new water line?

A new water line is a possibility, the line comes into the crawl on that side of the house behind the garage.

I have a hard time believing the garage was built like that or that the slab was cut back. I would look for evidence the the foundation wall has moved.

Is that a picture of the side or back wall. Like Kurt said, which way is the slab sloping? The whole slab could have migrated down hill pulling away form the wall. Do you have more pictures?

I have a hard time believing the garage was built like that or that the slab was cut back. I would look for evidence the the foundation wall has moved.

Is that a picture of the side or back wall. Like Kurt said, which way is the slab sloping? The whole slab could have migrated down hill pulling away form the wall. Do you have more pictures?

It's the side wall, and they did extend the width of the garage. It's a flat site, no chance of movement like that. The foundation wall is newer than the slab. I think it's just unfinished work, the house is in foreclosure, it looks like the owner was trying to fix it up & flip it, but things went south on him and he never finished most of the numerous projects he started, like the garage door, for example.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009430112132_garage%20door%20opening.jpg

29.87 KB

• 2 weeks later...