Commercial reporting format

I use the ASTM E2018 guidelines. Yes, they're like any other SOP in that there's inadequacies, and everybody complains about ASTM, but overall, they point you in a very good direction.

Get the guideline from ASTM. Go to the summary outline page at the very end of the (seemingly endless) pages of ASTM-ification of what is, at base, relatively straightforward and simple.

Mine are essentially narrative lists of defects and concerns categorized within their systems, i.e., Site, Exterior, Roof, Structure, HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Interior. I follow the narrative with a summary that uses a lot of photos (the comic book format).

"Get the guideline from ASTM. Go to the summary outline page at the very end of the (seemingly endless) pages of ASTM-ification of what is, at base, relatively straightforward and simple."

I've had the misfortune of reading far too many ASTM documents recently, my wife just got her Concrete Tech Grade 1 certification. I vote that engineers not be allowed to write, they are far better at communicating with numbers and pictures than they are with words. There is no reason it should take 2 pages of incredably small text to describe how to mix three scoops of concrete to make an adequate composite sample. I can't even begin to imagine what that standard looks like. Oh, the horror!

Tom

Anyone willing to share their commercial reporting format? I will be working a 18k sq ft nursing home and would appreciate some ideas for format. My current inspection program does not have a commercial template. Feel free to e-mail me privately if that is easier.

southsoundinspection@comcast.net

V/R

They are all a little different. It all depends on what my client wants and then I create the report around that need. Pretty much I state the scope of the inspection and the I start listing what I have found. I use plenty of pictures (with circles and arrows in honor of Alice's Restaurant).