Need WRB detail-- gas log fireplace

It's all too common to see exposed wall sheathing at gaps in caulking around the perimeter, at the corner seams in the exterior vent, etc. I'm surprised I don't see more visible evidence of rot or water intrusion at these fireplace bumpouts.

My new construction house today had exposed OSB at the perimeter, which was easy to see since they omitted the caulk. I don't know who manufactured the housewrap, so I was hoping for a good diagram from a credible source to post with the report. I know as soon as I write it up, the contractor is just going to caulk the dang thing and say it's been fixed.

It's all too common to see exposed wall sheathing at gaps in caulking around the perimeter, at the corner seams in the exterior vent, etc. I'm surprised I don't see more visible evidence of rot or water intrusion at these fireplace bumpouts.

My new construction house today had exposed OSB at the perimeter, which was easy to see since they omitted the caulk. I don't know who manufactured the housewrap, so I was hoping for a good diagram from a credible source to post with the report. I know as soon as I write it up, the contractor is just going to caulk the dang thing and say it's been fixed.

What about the fireplace manufacturer?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What about the fireplace manufacturer?

From what I see, they just say to use silocone caulk.

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/res ... C-SLDVT(II).pdf

In that case, I'd just hit them with 703.8 and say that the wall isn't properly flashed to prevent water entry. Explain to the customer that caulk isn't a substitute for flashing and your job is done.

If I'm in a grumpy mood, I might add that the customer shouldn't accept a repair that consists of the surface application of caulk.

- Jim Katen, Oregon