Jump to content



Recommended Posts

That looks like a metal duct to me. The insulation around it could be an ACM, but it isn't transite. Transite is a silly putty colored concrete like material with visible reinforcement fibers in it that is fashioned into ducts and vent pipes. Generally a metal 'pipe' would transition into transite to pass through a combustable plane of the building and not be completely encased in it.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago I inspected a 60's era church building, for a start-up congregation, that was built on a slab with transite ducts. The original church members were dying off (pun intended) and could no longer keep up with the utility bills and building maintenance. With a wood plank over beam roof system in both the chapel (18/12 slope) and meeting rooms (flat), you can imagine how high the gas bill must have been.

To make the property more salable the broker/agent recommended installing new furnaces and adding Central Air. His heating contractor made no mention of transite ducts, probably wanted to make a quick sale. I show up and opened up the "can of worms" when I removed the first register cover.

The new congregation elders thanked me, and decided to built new, the broker/agent didn't.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...