Instant Water Heater

blazenut

I was at a condo today that had a bosch gas instant water heater. Does anyone have the decoder for these? Weird thing is, i didnt see a serial number on it, (m# GWH 1600 H NG and FD#881 00059). What have you guys been telling people what the typical life expectancies of these are? I talked to a plumber about these a couple months ago and told me that they havnt been around long enough to tell. Do you guys agree? Thanks

I googled it, this was hit #3: http://www.boschhotwater.com/BoschHotWa ... fault.aspx

That's a pretty small unit, how big was the house? 4.5 GPM won't keep up with a shower, the washing machine, and someone doing dishes. Each will be luke warm. Since there is no storage, tankless units are all about output. Very few people get that they need to size them for the highest anticipated demand. I wouldn't put a 4.5 GPM unit in anything bigger than a 1 bedroom apartment, unless it was dedicated for a specific point of use.

EDIT: I just took another look at the flow rates, it's only over 4 gpm at a measly 45 degree rise. To get to 120 from my muni supply is over a 70 degree rise, and that would yield just over 2 GPM. It's a toy.

Tom

Hi,

Yeah, I agree. The heat exchangers on these tankless units are typically either copper or stainless steel so nobody really knows. Did you get a photo of it? The serial number is on the rating plate and the date is buried in the serial number. The FD# merely tells you whether it's approved for above or below a certain altitutude.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That one is the one I believe they sell or sold at Lowes. They are rated for one major application at a time (i.e. one shower at a time). Warranty I believe is 12 years for the heat exchanger, which is pretty typical.

I installed a Rheem tankless and it too had a 12 year exchanger warranty, with an estimated life expectancy stated by them of 20 years+. Don't know on the Bosch though.

It was for a 700 square foot 2 bedroom, one bath condo. I google'd it as well, i enjoy and value all of your opinions way too much to simply do web searches alone. Thanks!

how do you get january of 07 from 881? Yea, i know it was pretty new.

I googled "How to read Bosch water heater serial numbers" and clicked on the first link and then found 881 on the chart.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike