Protimeter Display

Ben H

I've looked everywhere and can't find an answer. When using the Surveymaster in scan mode, this unit has a 3 digit number. Is that number a percent of moisture with a missing decimal between the 2nd and 3rd digit? Example: 456 is 45.6% moisture?

I know the unit says REL, which could stand for relative...

Also, the pin mode is a % reading on the display,right?

Could one of you fine chaps please explain this to me...[:-headach

The # in scan mode is arbitrary (just a low to high). It may correspond somewhat with a percentage but I wouldn't put much stock in the actual number. The light and audible beeps are what you should look at and then confirm the results using the pins, if possible, to discount false positives.

I've looked everywhere and can't find an answer. When using the Surveymaster in scan mode, this unit has a 3 digit number. Is that number a percent of moisture with a missing decimal between the 2nd and 3rd digit? Example: 456 is 45.6% moisture?

I know the unit says REL, which could stand for relative...

Also, the pin mode is a % reading on the display,right?

Could one of you fine chaps please explain this to me...[:-headach

The 3 digits are not any type of measurement - it's relative readings. It's on the search mode, when held at a 25% angle with the cap on. The numbers will range from 60-999. Below 60 reads ---. It's for rapid surveys to pinpoint areas that should be checked in the measure mode or by other methods.

What do you guys do when say scanning an old tile floor (next to the toilet) where you know there is metal lathe under that tile? At what point do you pull the trigger and say theres water here, here and here....

I just look for significant variations, by sampling over a large area, then close in to the problem spot. If the readings are all similar, move on. If they all read high, then it's pretty dificult to make a call.

BTW, if 999 is 100%, then 60 is close enough to 6%, no?

What do you guys do when say scanning an old tile floor (next to the toilet) where you know there is metal lathe under that tile? At what point do you pull the trigger and say theres water here, here and here....

I just look for significant variations, by sampling over a large area, then close in to the problem spot. If the readings are all similar, move on. If they all read high, then it's pretty dificult to make a call.

BTW, if 999 is 100%, then 60 is close enough to 6%, no?

One would think John. Thanks for the input.