Chrome

Hi,

I've been toying with this Chrome browser since I read about Kurt dinking about with it the other day.

Not sure if I see the advantage of it over IE and I never really saw the advantage of Firefox over IE because of the way it displayed. I do like that fact that it makes TIJ stuff display pretty normally but the print looks washed out and thin in whatever website I display with it and I can't seem to find a way to adjust it so that the print looks solid and is easy to read.

Is that normal for Chrome?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hmm.... browsers only display what the code tells it to. You might want to check and make sure it's up to date. I've been using chrome for about 3 months now and haven't noticed what you described. I think it's far superior to IE. Pages load 3x faster. Response time is 3x faster. At least on my machine.

Hmm.... browsers only display what the code tells it to. You might want to check and make sure it's up to date. I've been using chrome for about 3 months now and haven't noticed what you described. I think it's far superior to IE. Pages load 3x faster. Response time is 3x faster. At least on my machine.

Hi,

It must be up-to-date, I just downloaded it from Googles site. When I look at the print on the screen in IE it looks exactly like it looks when I print it out on a white piece of paper - very clear and easy to read. When I look at it in Chrome, it looks sort of washed out and it's harder to read. That's what I'm talking about. It does seem to load faster, but if it's going to give me a headache and eye strain trying to read it, I can wait the extra half second for it to load in IE.

Kurt,

I've never had much of a problem with anything MS. Unless it was something I dinked up myself or a virus had sneaked in via someone's email, it's always been pretty dependable. Since I dumped McAfee and started working with those Cyber Defender folks, it's been running really smooth and fast. Can't speak to the "hairballs and inelegent engineering" though - I don't know enough about anything on computers to know what elegant engineering is.

I'm still trying to figure out all of the functionality and things that

Chrome can do; but until I can get it so I can read script without getting eye strain, that's hard to do. It doesn't seem to matter which site I go to; they are all the same. I thought it might be some kind of a setting that I had to tweak in Chrome but there aren't any browser tools to tweak stuff like IE has - at least none that I see. That's why I'm asking you folks that use it all the time.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I took Chrome, for a test fly for about three months when it first came out. It appeared much faster when I first downloaded it. Eventually, I ended up back with IE, partially due to little annoyances with Chrome and partially because some sites I download statements from were only compatible with IE. The latest Explorer seems to work just fine.

Recently, I've been trying a new philosophy regarding software - keeping everything in the family (Microsoft). With that in mind, and based upon some googling, I ditched Bit Defender on one machine and Webroot Spy Sweeper with Internet protection (both of which had remaining months left) to give Microsoft's Security Essentials a try. I must say, since I removed third-party security software off my PC, it has been running about as fast as it ever has. Programs are opening pretty quickly and no surfing problems whatsoever. Microsoft's Internet Essentials is very resource friendly and yet gets pretty high marks on protection. I'm pretty satisfied.

(I'm not a big Microsoft fan, but I am a fan of a responsive PC. It seems Microsoft is finally getting the message and moving in the direction of lighter more resource friendly stuff, which is all I ever wanted. Microsoft Security Essentials is a two thumbs up in my book, and best of all, it's FREE and updates almost daily.)

• 4 months later...

Hi all ! yet I am new to this forum site and this is my first post but i would like to put my point.Even i am not agree with hausdok that IE has an edge over Firefox.lots of advantages that Firefox have and IE does not have like faster better interface to user and loads any page faster than explorer. it not all list is so long Firefox has in built download manager with various download customizations that explorer does not have..[:-tong2]

I've had Chrome on and off my PCs a few times. At first, it seemed pretty zippy, but eventually it always seems to begin to bog down. Here's a site that I've been referring to for about ten years to help me consider software and services. It's definitely a commercial site, so one has to take the reviews with about as much salt as they would Motor Trend Magazine. That being said, here is their 2011 review of the top ten internet browsers: toptenreviews.com

One thing......

Uploading visible pictures to this site using Chrome can cause it to lock up for very odd reasons. Very idiosyncratic.

As a side note, Pogue pretty much said forget IE in his last article in the NYT. It's MS engineering, i.e., bloatware on steroids. There's a lot of better browsers nowadays that allow one to integrate all aspects of their digital life into things not MS.

I am working overtime to free myself of the MS hairball; in another couple months, I'll completely free, or so I dream...............

• 11 months later...