SureTest

kurt

Just so's youse guys know I'm still viable, I now have a SureTest.

And, not just any SureTest. Nope. I got me one of the coveted ST-1's, courtesy of Brother Warga. He actually parted w/ one of his inventory. Let's hear a collective "amen".

I am forever indebted to this fine man for bringing me out of 3 light tester darkness & into the bosom of intelligent circuit analysis.

Originally posted by kurt

Let's hear a collective "amen".

I am forever indebted to this fine man for bringing me out of 3 light tester darkness & into the bosom of intelligent circuit analysis.

And the choir began to sing.... [:-yawn][:-angel][:-yawn]

Brian G.

Heathern in the Darkness [:-devil]

Originally posted by Terence McCann

Nice aren't they??? I use mine for the first 1/2 or so of the outlets, if everything is checking good I switch to the 3 light to help speed things up a tad.

I work it in reverse. I use the 3-light tester and pull out the SureTest when something's suspicious. I try to check every accessible receptacle in the house, so using the SureTest on all of them would be a burden.

The only problem with using the SureTest on some outlets and not all is that you'll miss the false grounds.

I'd say we find at least one false ground in new construction about every other day. 99% of the time it's the tag end of the ground wire making contact with the neutral.

I know its been discussed ad nauseum in some other forum somewhere, but if you'll allow me to open the can of worms again. . .

What is the benefit of the Suretest? Isn't using the tool a bit too 'technically exhaustive'? I tried one for a while and got 'negative' and crazy readings all over the place both on my home and a couple of 'sacrificial lamb' inspections. The tool seemed to present way more confusion than it did diagnosis and clarification.

I remember a thread a while back discussing the complications and confusion using a CO Detector. Isn't this the same thing?

I'd love to know how a Suretest would benefit my inspection service while helping my clients at the same time - of course the hidden agenda is looking for an excuse to buy another tool!![;)]

Well, it does open a small can of worms, but it's one that needs to be opened an little. So, I got myself the SureTest (it only took about 2 years).

The primary benefit is finding false grounds.

I'm still trying to figure out the voltage drop conundrum. Near as I can tell, just about every circuit has 3-4% vD. I've been finding 5% drop on at least half the outlets I test. At this point, I'm not saying anything until I see at least >10% drop, and then I think about it before I say anything.

Didn't Michael Leavitt write an article on three light testers? I know about the session at Inspection World 2004, but I also thought he described this in print?

Maybe someone here has that article. (if one exist)

I do know the 3 light testers will not show a false ground. That alone is enough for me to buy one but I also use mine to check voltage drops. I'm really not sure what functions 4, 5 and 6 are, or what they're good for.

Can the electrical gurus's come out and play?

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

Didn't Michael Leavitt write an article on three light testers? I know about the session at Inspection World 2004, but I also thought he described this in print?

Maybe someone here has that article. (if one exist)

I do know the 3 light testers will not show a false ground. That alone is enough for me to buy one but I also use mine to check voltage drops. I'm really not sure what functions 4, 5 and 6 are, or what they're good for.

Can the electrical gurus's come out and play?

He wrote an article titled "Three light testers are big fat liars". Kurt was his "assistant" at the ASHI conference. There were some pictures floating around here too. I think one of them showed Kurt putting a wire close to his mouth (if the old memory isn't failing).

I posted a link here, with his permission, sometime ago but I'll be danged if I can find it.