Does this sink trap meet code?

spiff72

Hey everyone. I am trying to understand the plumbing code requirement for traps that states:

"Each fixture trap shall have a liquid seal of not less than 2" and not more than 4", or deeper for special designs relating to accessible fixtures."

Can someone confirm for me that the attached image would violate the 4" maximum requirement, provided that this isn't a "special design" for accessibility? I just want to make sure I am not misinterpreting the code.

It seems like they should have just cut off some of the tube at the bottom of the drain tailpiece, and they could have eliminated the metal bend and the short PVC extension piece. (Those joints are all underwater and could easily leak!)

Thanks!

Click to Enlarge
tn_201114152832_SinkTrap1.jpg

24.43 KB

Hey everyone. I am trying to understand the plumbing code requirement for traps that states:

"Each fixture trap shall have a liquid seal of not less than 2" and not more than 4", or deeper for special designs relating to accessible fixtures."

Can someone confirm for me that the attached image would violate the 4" maximum requirement, provided that this isn't a "special design" for accessibility? I just want to make sure I am not misinterpreting the code.

It seems like they should have just cut off some of the tube at the bottom of the drain tailpiece, and they could have eliminated the metal bend and the short PVC extension piece. (Those joints are all underwater and could easily leak!)

Thanks!

Click to Enlarge
tn_201114152832_SinkTrap1.jpg

24.43 KB

No.. the trap is way too large. Height should be b/w 2~4".