sharp panel screws

Ken Meyer

Somehow someone lost all of the original panel cover screws. We've probably all come across this situation. When I got the cover off I realized what could have happened if the screws were just a little bit longer.[:-bigeyes I did not that particular screw back in.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201152013458_panel%20cover%20screws.jpg

36.56 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201152013523_service%20conductors.jpg

23.1 KB

Yeah, so far in 19 years I"ve hit the main service entrance twice - once putting them back in (careless) and once taking them out (It's one heck of a ligh show, kinda sounding just like an arc welder kicking in), and I've hit 110s a couple times too. I always write 'em up.

I've had a spark shower or two,

It's the reason I always tell the client to stand back about 8 to 10 feet when I'm removing a cover. A client getting blinded by a red hot piece of slag flying a couple hundred feet a second would definitely not be good for my reputation.

Go to the orange or blue box and pick up some panel screws. When you find those, replace them with proper screws. It takes less time to do that than to write up the issue and you'll be a Dodge Boy for doing it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It's the reason I always tell the client to stand back about 8 to 10 feet when I'm removing a cover. A client getting blinded by a red hot piece of slag flying a couple hundred feet a second would definitely not be good for my reputation.

Go to the orange or blue box and pick up some panel screws. When you find those, replace them with proper screws. It takes less time to do that than to write up the issue and you'll be a Dodge Boy for doing it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I carry extra panel screws with me, but only for use if I lose one. I'd rather write up a defect that fix it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I carry extra panel screws with me, but only for use if I lose one. I'd rather write up a defect that fix it.

I'm in Mike's camp - Sometimes it just isn't worth the trouble. For instance, I'd rather fix loose receptacles and door knobs. In both cases, it's just a few turns of a screw driver. And, especially in the case of loose receptacles, if there's several of them, the the lengthy descriptions of specifically where they are drive me nuts. I've had folks insist I come back out to literally show them where things are, because they can't find it. (Usually evil folks)

When someone calls with the ole' "I can't find it." line, I always wish I could use the trusty comeback that worked so well with my own five kids; "If I find it, can I spank ya? Miraculously they always found it within about the next sixty seconds. [:-graduat

Similarly, why is it that we can find tons of rot from the ground, but the carpenter that was called in to "thoroughly inspect, remove and replace" can't? Happens every time...

I always write up the wrong panel screws.

BUT, both times I've had the sparks flying and me instantly levitating a foot off the ground the guilty screw was the correct screw for the panel. The threads of the screw was what cut the wire sheathing.

I believe the panel manufacturers should design the panel so that the screws cannot come in contact with any of the wires.