Advantex Septic System Questions

jefshrn

I bought a one year-old home in VA about 3 years ago. Due to county regs it needed an alternative septic. The Advantex system was used. The system seems to work quite well however, every spring during the rainy season the alarm will sound every couple of days. I cycle the power the system and clear the alarm. This goes on for a couple of weeks and then stops until the next spring. I assume there is ground water getting into the system causing a float to trigger the alarm but I'm not sure. I see from some research that i should be able to see some sort of monitoring of my system through a web interface and it looks as though an outside service is supposed to be monitoring it as well. No one ever mentioned any of that to me when the house was purchased and i have no paperwork on the system. I was told it should be inspected every few years and that is all i need to worry about. Anyone have any more info or a place where i can find more info? Thanks.

I see from some research that i should be able to see some sort of monitoring of my system through a web interface and it looks as though an outside service is supposed to be monitoring it as well.

That would most likely be the case here. The installer or another third party would be monitoring performance of your system via the internet. Does your property record with the county show a "septic covenant" or similar document stating that some type of monitoring is to be in place? Check the pump chamber for low-voltage wires entering/leaving that indicate an external control is in use. That's where the internet connection would be.

I bought a one year-old home in VA about 3 years ago. Due to county regs it needed an alternative septic. The Advantex system was used. The system seems to work quite well however, every spring during the rainy season the alarm will sound every couple of days. I cycle the power the system and clear the alarm. This goes on for a couple of weeks and then stops until the next spring. I assume there is ground water getting into the system causing a float to trigger the alarm but I'm not sure. I see from some research that i should be able to see some sort of monitoring of my system through a web interface and it looks as though an outside service is supposed to be monitoring it as well. No one ever mentioned any of that to me when the house was purchased and i have no paperwork on the system. I was told it should be inspected every few years and that is all i need to worry about. Anyone have any more info or a place where i can find more info? Thanks.

Unless you have a dedicated phone line for the treatment plan your system is not being monitored. The monitoring is for their commercial treatment plants, not residental.

Try this site for information on what you have.... http://www.orenco.com/systems/advantex_ ... atment.cfm

Most of the time an Advantex system is installed here when the soil does not perc adequately for a normal drain field, and water from the system is expected to be at least partly surface runoff. The county here won't allow that without a monitoring agreement in place, and I believe it's mostly or entirely by internet.

The float level looks like it could easily be raised a bit. Check it out here:

http://www.orenco.com/doclib/documents/ABR-STP-1.pdf

The alarm goes off in the house, you say. If your 'movements' are being monitored by Big Brother, [:)] why is nobody coming around to check the system? [:-magnify

Maybe they are watching the outflow for the subdivision, but not the individual tanks?

I am the Senior Sales Manager for Orenco. the Homeowner is indeed seeing what sounds like water infiltration. Raising and lower floats is not a good idea because you can actually create more problem alarms.

The high water alarm (Top float) should be near the bottom of the inlet. the next float should be about 2" inches below that. In the first compartment there is an RSV (recirculating splitter valve.) This valve is basically located between the second float and the last float. (low level float) Raising and lowering floats into the RSV operating level will cause more trouble.

Each tank has it's own settings that can be verified by the service provider. Settings are based on the manufacture of the concrete tank.

Internet monitoring: Our system uses the regular phone line. there is no special line needed for residential. The system knows when you are on the phone and will not interrupt. If you pick up the phone the system will automatically get off the line and wait.

If your service provider is not doing a good job then I suggest you look at WWW.orenco.com/Virginia. You can pick another service provider.

If you have any other questions I can be reached at rjohnson@orecno.com. I will be glad to help.