Please opine

charlieb

23 year old pool with the original (poor condition) gunite plaster surface. This is the first time I've ever seen the back side of the shell so seeing the efflorescence is disturbing. What say ye?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011930135620_CIMG4138.jpg

85.99 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011930135643_CIMG4140.jpg

67.66 KB

By the way, the photos were taken at the max rez and reduced for this forum. Can everyone make the details out ok?

What is your concern?

My understanding is that the shotcrete is porous anyway, the plaster is the waterproof liner (expected life 20 yrs) and needs to be replaced. The concrete is reinforced and as long as you keep the pool water out of it the crack you show doesn't look that bad.

The efflourescence could indicate some seepage at that crack for a while or exposure (rain) collected along the crack. Does the pool leak there?

Gross oversimplification, as I don't know all the steps involved. Recommend further evaluation.

Since I'm not an expert, I would recommend that they get an expert to take a look at it. It is a small crack but I think you are right to be cautious about what you see and say there.

In fact I never inspect a pool. We don't get a lot of pools in my climate, so the expectation isn't there.

Too much liability for the cheap price of a home inspection, IMO. I would give a brief description of the obvious stuff as a courtesy but clarify that I haven't inspected the pool.

Sry Charlie ... can't help.

I stopped inspecting pools 5-years ago at the urging of my attorney.

I would have to refer the pool inspection to the "pool inspector" I work with.

He used to build pools, then maintained pools and now is inspecting pools as he threatens to "retire". He does pool inspections for about 20 of us D/FW home inspectors.

The first pic looks like all the cracks are coping related. I'd be as suspect of the coping as the pool liner.

I'd probably also tell them it's time to think about relining the pool interior.

Referring pool stuff to pool guys is smart though. It's one of the few things I tend to get real nervous about, as I don't look at enough of them to feel confident.