Repairable heat-exchanger

Bain

I found this--quite easily for obvious reasons--cracked heat-exchanger in a furnace last week. Today, the HVAC tech called with questions about a second furnace with minor problems and said he was going to replace the "face plate" of the furnace in the photo. I asked him a few questions to make certain we weren't miscommunicating, and (I think--we were, after all, talking via phones) he maintained that what I was looking at was not the actual heat-exchanger but a replaceable plate. I was able to penetrate the crack +/- 1/4" with a screwdriver, so I'm finding it difficult to envision that portion of the furnace as replaceable.

John

What is the manufacturer and model number of this furnace?

Granted this is a faceplate, however you have streaking upwards above the burners. This is could be an indication that the gas valve is delaying shuting off after the inducer has turned off, a possible restriction in the venting system or there is a crack in the heat exchanger. If this is a clamshell heat exchanger and it is a Goodman , looks like Goodman burners, most likely the crimped rings that secure the two halves of the clam shells together have separated.

One note. If the vestibule panel of a heat exchanger is cracked the local governing authority has final approval whether patch plates from the manufacturers may be used.

You're right, of course, Gary. But the service-people who come in behind me and others seldom possess your level of expertise. Independent thought is becoming a lost commodity. How many service techs would you expect to ask the same questions you did in your post?

John

Originally posted by Bain

You're right, of course, Gary. But the service-people who come in behind me and others seldom possess your level of expertise. Independent thought is becoming a lost commodity. How many service techs would you expect to ask the same questions you did in your post?

John

icon_speech_duh.gifNot the plug and go techs.[:-paperba