Purchasing NEC CD

fyrmnk

Hi all, I'm considering purchasing a copy of the NEC 2005 handbook on CD. Anyone have this that can provide feedback on whether it is a worthwhile investment? One description states it also has PDF copies of the 1999 and 2002 editions for comparisons.

The description states it "is the equivalent of an annotated edition of the 2005 NEC® that offers insights into new and more difficult articles in order to guide users to success in interpreting and applying current Code requirements to all types of electrical installations. A valuable information resource for anyone involved in electrical design, installation and inspection... provides 100% of the information needed to "meet Code" and avoid costly errors..."

Is the handbook version worth the extra money or is just the standard full NEC on CD user friendly enough? Thanks all.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by fyrmnk

. . . Is the handbook version worth the extra money or is just the standard full NEC on CD user friendly enough? Thanks all.

Depends. How much extra money do they want for it?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Roughly $170 for the handbook version with the extras and 1999 and 2002 PDF copies as well.

About $95 for the basic CD of the complete 2005 NEC.

The handbook version seems like a pretty good deal to me, particularly if you don't already own the previous (1999 & 2002) versions.

Personally, I like the paper versions of codes. As I flip through the pages searching for answers, I become familiar with the structure of the document in a way that I never could with a digital version.

- Jim Katen

I have the version that you are looking to buy.

I highly recommend it. Not only does it have both codes but it has the handbook.

The codes are PDF files and as such are not searchable,This sucks, but the handbook is compleatly searchable.

I use the handbook alot to clairfy issues with contractors and homeowners.