High moisture content in basment walls

fyrmnk

This is just out of curiosity and I recommended an invasive inspection, but had some elevated readings with my Tramex Moisture Encounter Plus on a home recently and wondered what others thought may be causing it.

It was in walkout basement. All exterior finishes, siding, flashing, etc. looked fine and interior walls looked fine. However, about 5-7' in from the back exterior wall (that had the walkout) on the side exterior wall, had elevated readings ultimately maxing out on the meter. On the back exterior wall near an interior finished wall at the other end of the basement, had the same thing. These were framed walls above the foundation walls.

Just racking my brain, I came up with these possibilities:

-Subterranean termites coming up inside the walls from the slab and concealed from view (had that happen in my house)

-Plumbing leaks (seems unlikely with the second location)

-Condensation in the walls, possibly due to some improper vapor barrier installation or something similar, which seems unlikely with just a couple areas showing the issue.

All other areas showed no elevated readings.

Any other ideas? Thanks, Kevin

Probably the usual moisture collection machine masquerading as a finished basement.

Put up a frame wall, faced batts, drywall, and paint against a concrete foundation and you get moisture that slowly accumulates. I find it all the time. I've never torn out a finished basement that wasn't a mold farm.

It could be the other things you noted, but I'd be betting basement sponge.

Probably the usual moisture collection machine masquerading as a finished basement.

Put up a frame wall, faced batts, drywall, and paint against a concrete foundation and you get moisture that slowly accumulates. I find it all the time. I've never torn out a finished basement that wasn't a mold farm.

It could be the other things you noted, but I'd be betting basement sponge.

That was what I originally was suspecting, but verified this wall is all wood framed above the foundation. It was a front-back split (you know, the annoying 5 levels (in this case) in a two story house) and this part only had about 1-2' concrete wall above the slab then the wood framing above that. Had what I call a sub-basement off this room down a few more steps.

I live in a similar style thanks to my wife [:-bigeyes

Drives me nuts always having to go up and down stairs for everything.