Help

I have a 102 year old house located in Graniteville SC where the tankard of chlorine gas was released killing 10. My house is less than 150 feet from where the trains collided. My house sustained considerable damage. The piers on my house are made with the 100+ year old method of mortar (which I think was lime based). One hole row of piers from the side of my house to the other for about 1 foot down from the top of the pier is now white powder (no mortar left - just powder). I know it was not this way before the accident but it is now and the railroad says no way. Although it was not suppose to be able to rust stainless steel it did and it was not suppose to cause paint to come off but I can wipe my paint off the aluminum siding with my hands. How can I get information on what that high of a concentrate of this gas would have on things such as the old mortar???

Hi,

Go here: http://www.bia.org

Contact their technical assistance folks via the links on their site. If they don't have the info, they should be able to point you to the people who do.

It's interesting to note that of all the approved cleaning materials and acids they recommend in their technical notes for masonry that chlorine isn't mentioned anywhere.

FYI - I just did a google search for "effects of chlorine gas" and found one mention of the use of special mortars and masonry when used for boilers and the like that are exposed to chlorine gas. I'm sure you can find something out there.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I suggest you hire a Forensic Engineer. They specialize in providing scientific information on the cause and affects of accidients. If you are dealing with the RR or their attorneies you will need good documentation and scientific evidence.

Your insurance company may be able to help you contact a good Forensic Engineer. You might want to file a claim with them, as they should help you settle a claim with an outside party that causes damage to your home.

Good Luck.