Don't Forget

Been using laptops since the first Powerbook 100, never a hiccup. I'd always chosen when and where to get the new machine. Until yesterday afternoon.

Come home, open it up my trusted friend......dead. Deader than dead.

But I've got my Time Machine backup. Spent the last night and into the morning resurrecting my operation on a new machine.

Don't forget to back up. A reminder......

One of my mac laptops went stone dead as you described. Even when plugged into power. After trying almost everything else I removed the battery and plugged it in again. Works fantastic when the battery is removed. Still using it daily. Time machine is wonderful but it still pays to backup to a separate drive.

Nothing. Time Machine makes a mirror of the drive. Plug in the new machine, click restore, choose the backup drive, hit OK, go get a slice of pie and coffee, come back, like nothing ever happened.

Except the new machine is about 8 times faster; it's unbelievable.

In my previous life, I was a data center manager for Fortune 500 companies, military and Fed Govt. Daily backups, weekly backups, and image backups monthly. Fault tolerant systems setup in tandem to provide guareented 100% uptime. UPS, on-site standby generators, complete duplicate systems in special shipping containers to be flown to one of 85 sites nationwide to completely replace, restore and resume complete operation in 48 hrs or less. Financial systems that $1mil passed thru per hr. 1 hr of scheduled downtime required 30 days notice and only granted during evening/night hours on weekends.

Out of the industry for a decade and I back up my systems with Carbonite and standalone drives. I have my data but it would be chore to get it all back up and running. Keep meaning to build a duplicate system but seems lots of other things are more fun.

Nothing. Time Machine makes a mirror of the drive. Plug in the new machine, click restore, choose the backup drive, hit OK, go get a slice of pie and coffee, come back, like nothing ever happened.

Except the new machine is about 8 times faster; it's unbelievable.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to do mine, but Time Machine sounds nice. I'll look into it.

What new computer did you get? I just picked up a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and love it.

OSX really is the greatest OS. Folks that have never used it think it's some kind of weird cult thing. It's what an operating system should be. Windows is a painful mess to even think about, let alone use. Hardware is hardware; that's the easy part. Getting the OS right....not so easy. And Word....how anyone can continue to use that buggy piece of bloatware is beyond me.

Folks think Apple is more expensive. It's not. On a usage cost per day, it's cheaper than Windows stuff.

Youngsters get it, for the most part. Apple has been growing 30% a year when the PC market has been going the other way. It's a better OS in every way.

Personally, I wish Google would ditch servicing the Windows crowd and make their own OS complete from scratch, then manufacture the hardware it goes on. IOW, build the entire universe like Apple did. I would looooove a complete Chrome experience. It's the best browser, and it should be running my machinery.

Personally, I wish Google would ditch servicing the Windows crowd and make their own OS complete from scratch, then manufacture the hardware it goes on. IOW, build the entire universe like Apple did. I would looooove a complete Chrome experience. It's the best browser, and it should be running my machinery.

You mean Chromebook right? Google has been working on their own OS for over two years now...