CSST gas piping, shut offs

4000sposse

This CSST piping is installed outside, albeit for only a couple of inches until it enters the house through an old exhaust.

From what I have read this pipe can not be installed on the exterior. And cannot not go through an exterior wall?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015420115815_IMG_0014.jpg

56.22 KB

Also, it appears that gas lines have been added or modified. Does anyone off hand know if these shut off valves are OK? I don't know of anything wrong with having valves like this outside, but something doesn't seem right. The gas appliances all have correct shut offs.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201542012735_IMG_0011.jpg

69.66 KB

Thanks,

Eric

The major CSST manufacturers have had their tubing tested and approved for outdoor installation. However, it needs protection from physical damage when installed on a building from grade to 6'.

I have heard that a couple municipalities might have their own rules prohibiting CSST on the exterior.

I don't see any issues with the CSST installation; I'm not aware of any manufacturer's prohibiting its use outdoors. The most common defect I see on exterior installations is missing yellow jacket material @ the nut; any of the exposed steel must be wrapped with an approved tape.

The valves appear to be typical ball valves, and should be fine.

The pipe must be at least 3.5" above grade-- I can't tell from the picture if the required clearances have been met.

Utilities have their own bypass requirements, so I won't comment from a utility standpoint on this one. The gas fitter was no expert, but this seems to be more of the rule than the exception these days. If it isn't leaking.......