USB memory

Everyone probably knows all about this, but in case any of you are even more technically challenged than me I figured I'd share this.

Backing up my data has always been time consuming. First I used tapes, then I used zip drives, then I wrote to CD's. Recently I bought a gizmo the size of a key chain that plugs in my USB port w/ 512Mb of memory. The computer see's it as another drive and what used to take twenty minutes now takes about a minute when I make back ups. It cost 150 dollars and I think it's worth every penny. I can take data with me literally dangling from my truck keys. It loads and unloads fast and all the files are as accessible as they are on any drive. XP recognizes it as soon as you plug it in. WIN 98 requires a driver to be installed.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Everyone probably knows all about this, but in case any of you are even more technically challenged than me I figured I'd share this.

Backing up my data has always been time consuming. First I used tapes, then I used zip drives, then I wrote to CD's. Recently I bought a gizmo the size of a key chain that plugs in my USB port w/ 512Mb of memory. The computer see's it as another drive and what used to take twenty minutes now takes about a minute when I make back ups. It cost 150 dollars and I think it's worth every penny. I can take data with me literally dangling from my truck keys. It loads and unloads fast and all the files are as accessible as they are on any drive. XP recognizes it as soon as you plug it in. WIN 98 requires a driver to be installed.

Those memory keys are quite slick, and they are worth every penny, but their main benefit is portability. For another $50, you could have 80GB of hard drive storage w/ a Maxtor One Touch.

Plug in the Maxtor Drive to a USB port, load a simple program that comes w/ the machine; that's it. When you want to backup, touch the button on the front of the Maxtor drive, & the software backs up the entire hard drive. IOW, you have a mirror of your "C" drive, including programs, Favorites, etc. If you don't have USB 2.0, it's a little slower, but still works fine. Hit the button every night before you leave the office; if anything happens, buy a new computer, plug the hard drive into the new machine, & you are off and running.

I have a redundant system running all the time at my business to cover the event of computer failure. The reason I like the portability is I worry about my business burning down. I have 1,000 gallons of oil, another 2,000 gallons of waste oil, half a dozen acetylene tanks and 12 or 13 cars full of gas inside my building when I go home each night. Call me paranoid. I take the USB drive with me and I load it on my box at home. It let's me sleep.

For a while I used to back up to an internet site, but the first time I needed it, the data was corrupted. I wasn't happy.

Now that Kurt taught me about the Maxtor, I feel compelled to own one. Since Kurt's responsible for this burning need, I feel it's only fair that he send me his.

Originally posted by Brian G.

Where's a good cheap place on-line to get a Maxtor?

Brian G.

Is "Good Cheap Place" an Oxymoron? [:-dunce]

http://www.cdw.com

I get all my junk @ CDW; it's local. I put up a will call, drive downtown, get it that day. They also have much larger drives, but I find that the 80gb is more than adequate for my pipsqueak business. I've got 15 years worth of reports on the thing, several thousand digital photos, & I still have about 60gb free space.

Chad, I definitely understand the paranoid thing. At any point in time, I have my entire world running on 3 - 4 different hard drives. I have duplicate laptops. I carry one of my laptops w/ me wherever I go. When that is impractical, I have been known to burn a CD & carry it in my shirt pocket. Now that the bug is in my ear for the USB key, I suppose I have to have one of those also.

Day in & out though, the Maxtor is a really kick ass solution for small fry like me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I just ordered myself a Maxtor 5000LE to back up my stuff every day. All of this talk about crashing, very, very scary thought. I would be SO screwed if mine crashed...there are no words for it.

I got it for $150 from buy.com, with free shipping. Considering that I would be dead in the water if my Dell bit the dust, that's damn cheap insurance.

Brian G.

Backin' Up Like a Crawdad [:-dev3]