We've been abandoned....sniff....

Years ago, maybe 2005-ish, there was a specific person in charge of the 203k Program on the West Coast.  I forget her name but I could call in to the Santa Ana field office and ask questions and work through confusion. She even had a primitive version of an online forum.

Then she went away.

I could still call in to my field office and speak to a real person to ask questions. Now, I can't even do that. The phone numbers I have no longer work and they will not respond to emails.

I have to call the 800 number for HUD National and I get a return phone call or email within 24-48 hours from a paper pusher who's not even familiar with the program. She or he types a word search on their computer and responds with quotes from the HUD Handbook with which I'm already familiar.  

I've actually pried a phone number from a paper-pusher's cold hands which I though would get me some where in D.C. but after 8 calls and multiple phone trees, I still get nowhere.

You may be thinking, "Randy, good sir, the federal gummint is incompetent and chaotic. Why do you even bother with this program anymore?"

My response is that lenders are still offering the program and folks are still using it.  It's a nice  niche and has provided significant income several times over my 22 years when normal inspection income wasn't coming in.  While not busy right now, there will be an uptick again.

I'm hoping this Forum at TIJ can be a landing spot for more Consultants to discuss and hash out 203k confusion....because there is lots of it!

I don't know squat about the 203k program, but I dealt with HUD for many, many years in other capacities. One valuable lesson that I learned is that when you can't find an answer in their handbook or other literature, I just make up an answer that makes sense to me and go for it as if it were the holy truth from on high. If HUD doesn't like it, they get back to me and I get the real answer at that time. Much easier than playing the phone game. 

There is a group of good old boy HUD Consultants creating an association in an attempt communication with HUD and add a consultant voice to improvements, changes, an increase in the fee schedule. One of the founding members is Garrett Feist, who co-authored much of the gibberish in both the original and current versions of the handbook. Don't hold your breath waiting for clarification on anything.

2 hours ago, Tom Raymond said:

There is a group of good old boy HUD Consultants creating an association in an attempt communication with HUD and add a consultant voice to improvements, changes, an increase in the fee schedule. One of the founding members is Garrett Feist, who co-authored much of the gibberish in both the original and current versions of the handbook. Don't hold your breath waiting for clarification on anything.

Hmmm....where can this good ole boy group be found?

I'd like to invite them to our party here.

• 1 year later...