Looking for opinions

pete

I know everyone here is hesitant to give their opinion on topics but please help me (sarcasm). I am getting ready to build myself a home in the Lower Hudson Valley of NY. What is everybodys choice of windows? WHat would you use if the money was unlimited? What would be a balance between price and quality?

Pete

Pete,

I just built 4 years ago, and I looked at a lot of windows in search of the best "balance" of price vs. quality / efficiency. The double-glazed low-E in wood was my choice (the wife hates metal windows). Beyond that, the prices went up fast (triple-glazed, argon-filled, metal-clad wood, etc.).

If the budget were unlimited...I can't even begin to relate to that idea.

Brian G.

Still Happy With Mine [^]

Pete,

It's my opinion your best bang for your buck is Anderson casements. Vinyl covered on the exterior, wood on the interior for paint or stain. When the windows are closed, they are sealed tight (no air leakage) and when they're opened, they open 90% (not the 50% like double hung). The other good thing is the screens are mounted on the interior (less cleaning). Low E also available.

How many Anderson windows do you find w/brokens seals? Not many, not many.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Darren

Pete,

If you want a good basic window, I would recommend Andersen (with an "e", not "o" [:-bouncy]). I was at their factory a few years ago and watched them being made. They know how to build a good production window.

The best thing about Andersen is that you can get them quickly from many places and the prices are very competitive.

I personally don't like casements because you can't crack them open when it is raining. Above my kitchen sink, I installed a picture awning window that is 3'-5" x 3'-5" and is hinged at the top. If you want to see it, look on my web page at the kitchen renovation because it is in my house. I like double hung windows for the rest of the house.

I installed Weathershield windows in my house. They are wood on the inside and aluminum clad on the exterior. Most of the windows were primed, but I used natural maple in my kitchen to match the cabinets. I chose Weathershield because the company wanted me to use them in my house and sold them at a price that was so low I could not say no. I am happy with them. One of the 2 year old windows recently clouded during a cold snap and I called to tell them about it. A new window sash is being made for me at no charge.

After I installed my windows, Andersen started to offer different wood species. They recently expanded their line to 200, 400, and 600 series windows. The 200 series are lower end builder's windows. The 400 series are decent. The 600

series allows lots of cool customizing (Andersen recently bought KML Window Company and that has helped them offer more customization).

If you are going to require custom sizing, special woods, special finishes, simulated or true divided lights, then I would recommend Marvin or Weathershield. Pella is also decent. The Andersen 600 series windows are similarly priced.

If you need an architect for your new home, I am licensed in NY State. We did 10 houses in New York City (Riverdale) last year. If you want to talk more about your window, call me at my office between 8 & 5.

Good Luck.

PS: The top new house on my web page has $110,000 of Andersen windows and doors. It overlooks the bay in Cape Cod.

Originally posted by Darren

It's my opinion your best bang for your buck is Anderson casements.

How many Anderson windows do you find w/brokens seals? Not many, not many.

Yeah, but how many casement windows do you see with fouled-up mechanisms? Plenty, plenty. I think they're interesting, but not durable. They don't warm anybodys heart, but I rarely see a metal single or double-hung window that won't open.

Brian G.

Form Follows Function Guy [:-smirk]

Originally posted by Steven Hockstein

Pete,

After I installed my windows, Andersen started to offer different wood species. They recently expanded their line to 200, 400, and 600 series windows. The 200 series are lower end builder's windows. The 400 series are decent. The 600

series allows lots of cool customizing (Andersen recently bought KML Window Company and that has helped them offer more customization).

If you are going to require custom sizing, special woods, special finishes, simulated or true divided lights, then I would recommend Marvin or Weathershield. Pella is also decent. The Andersen 600 series windows are similarly priced.

If you need an architect for your new home, I am licensed in NY State. We did 10 houses in New York City (Riverdale) last year. If you want to talk more about your window, call me at my office between 8 & 5.

Good Luck.

PS: The top new house on my web page has $110,000 of Andersen windows and doors. It overlooks the bay in Cape Cod.

Good point on the casement vs awning. Is the 200 inferior to the 400 or just available in less sizes? Same ?? for 400 vs 600?

Last year at the Architectural Digest show I looked at an Italian Mahogany window--the action was incredible the asethetics were wild a 3050 was like $2k, there front doors started at 20K--oh man what life could be with a few million extra $$.

Pete

Good point on the casement vs awning. Is the 200 inferior to the 400 or just available in less sizes? Same ?? for 400 vs 600?

Last year at the Architectural Digest show I looked at an Italian Mahogany window--the action was incredible the asethetics were wild a 3050 was like $2k, there front doors started at 20K--oh man what life could be with a few million extra $$.

Pete

The 200 series windows use a composite material similar to Trex. Andersen makes it out of the sawdust that is left over from the manufacturing operations. The also burn sawdust to help heat their facilities.

You are right that the 200 series has a smaller selection of stock sizes. If you only need a few custom sizes, you can get windows made to match the 200 windows. If you need a lot of different sizes you would probably be better off with the 400 series and use standard sizes.

If you want wood, use the 400 series. The exterior is covered with vinyl to help protect the wood and reduce maintenance. There are more stock colors available as well.

I forget if they use the same hardware. I can check if you need.

Glass options are also limited as well.

The 200 series is really targeted for the builder's market to compete with vinyl windows. They are a little more expensive, but much better. I would go with a wood window.

When I had my construction company in Greenwich CT, the best architects always spec'ed Marvin. You can customize them pretty much any way you like, and they are the Cadillac of windows.

When I remodeled my house back east, I had a friend who managed one of the bigger Marvin wholesalers (Interstate Lumber). He would tell me when they got in an order that was made wrong, or when a contractor skipped on his order, and I would get them for cents on a dollar. I put an 8x6, dual pane, true divided light, picture window in the gable end of my cape, for $150! I cantilevered the area out about 16" and put a window seat under it. Sorry, I'm rambling, but it was so freaking kewl, and soooo cheap to build!

If money were no object, I would go with the Weathershield true divided light double hungs or the Eagle windows; both are very high quality.

The new Andersen 200 tilt series seems pretty cheap and I don't think it is Low E.

FWIW I have two new Narroline units almost side by side. One is Low E (high performance) and the other is standard glass , due to sizing/ availablity. The surface of the Low E window is almost ten degress warmer when measured with a Raytek.