Siding application

el gato

I see this now and then when it is trusses. I can't speak to the code side of it, but it should not be structurally significant. The trusses and roof sheathing comprise the roof structure. (All lateral and diagonal bracing comes from the roof sheathing. Sheathing hung on the side of a roof truss is just hanging there.)

And, it would help to alleviate attic heat especially if it's aluminum siding.

Now, the siding manufacturer may recommend more fastening...?

How long has it been this way?

Any negative affects?

Just my thoughts.

It may be commonly done, but in my opinion it is not a good construction practice. Wind blown rain will get behind the siding. This can be managed by a properly applied layer of building paper, as Mike noted. Lack of sheathing can make the siding susceptable to damage, either from wind driven debris striking the outside, or very strong winds pressurizing the attic space and causing the siding to blow off from the inside out.

The pressurization can occur from a strong enough wind on the soffet side of the house (air is forced into the soffets faster than it can exit the ridge or downwind vents), or more likely by wind blown debris that damages siding on the upwind gable, opening a hole which then causes the siding on the downwind gable to be blown outward.

I recall seeing pictures of many homes that were damaged in this manner during last summer's hurricanes. These houses had the foam energy board for sheathing beneath the siding. The gable ends adjacent to the attic space were completely blown off. The gaping holes provided ready access for the wind driven rain to soak everything inside the homes. Structurally, the houses were fine. The rain trashed the interiors.

It only costs a few dollars for plywood or OSB on the gable ends. In my opinion, that is money well spent.

This and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.....

What is prudent and what is neccesary can be two different things. You have yugo's and you have rolls royce's. When dealing with a production builder 6 sheets of plywood across 500 homes can be substantial to the bottom line. Not condoning it just that it's out there.

Yep, very true Carl. I probably wouldn't be a successful production home builder. I would approach building homes as if I was building it for myself (or mom, son, daughter, etc).

I remember now where I had come across those photos. Hope this link works.

http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?cont ... ed_katibhs

Scroll down about six photos or so.