Overcoming customer objections to SEER changeouts?

Mechanotherm

I'm sure everyone here knows that with the new SEER ratings requirements, there are a lot of new condener units being installed. The problem I've found is that homeowners frequently insist on keeping the existing evaporator coils in place in their air handler.

While I'm pretty good at explaining to homeowners why they really, really should replace all of it at one time, I'd like some suggestions on how to get the point across better (other than the obvious energy savings and the benefits of having "everything the same and matching").

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

How about throwing good money after bad?

Without a matched unit, you will not receive the SEER rating you just paid to have installed.

I would be careful about any void warranty claims. I have never heard of any manufacturer doing that. That sounds like something from some shylock contractor.

Home Warranty Companies will routinely void their warranty's for mis matched equipment. I've seen and heard it more than once. It's just another way they can get the premiums and refuse claims. Same goes for having breakers larger than what the manufacturer recommends.

At the last service meeting that I had the manufacturers rep stated that on future warranties on compressors that the model and serial number of the evaporator would also be required. That means that even the manufacturers are cracking down on the mismatches.