Website

voight

I had Ainspect develop a website for me last year. The site looked great, however, I did not receive one inspection from this website during the 9 months that it was up. I developed my own website and receive 2 to 8 inspections a months from it and it only costs me $12 a month. Just food for though if your thinking of having someone else develop a website for you. I wanted keywords in the metatag line and Ainspect refused to do it. They told me that it has no affect on the search engines. They were wrong. This message would not be allowed on the ASHI website. Too bad.

Dave Voight

I'm a moderator @ the ASHI site, & I don't think that it would be a problem. It IS a committee though, so maybe Cramer or Ghent would have a problem w/ it. If it was a fair & even handed description of your experience w/ the vendor, I wouldn't take it off.

I have my own personal experience w/ AInspect, & it wasn't fun. Not horrible, but less than I wanted, & not a good way to enter the website biz. Basically, Ainspect is fine for someone who wants a very generic "business card". Much better to do it yourself, or get w/an experienced web services company.

Meta tags do matter! Ainspect probably didn't want to do any custom work on your site.

It doesn't matter if you have the best website in the world, if your customers can't find it, it will not work for you.

Terence, I don't know where you located, but if you're anywhere outside of Podunk Alabama, a website should increase the inspections you do. My website accounts for 40 to 50% of my inspections.

I'd stay away from the website mills. There are so many other "canned" websites out there that a lot of them look the same. You need to stand out from the hord!

Donald

I guess its different strokes for different folks with a web site too.

I don't really expect my web site to generate business, although it does. What I try to accomplish with a web site is to sell them before they actually call me. I advertise my site then my site advertises me and my convoluted philosophy.

IF and that is a big IFid="size5"> I am sure, they read 60% of my web site, they are no longer "shopping" for an inspector, they are actually looking for me.

It also works very well when past customers refer me by way of my web site. I never get a call asking me how much do I charge. Since I am reduced to using an answering machine, it eliminates hang ups too. They always leave a message with a request for me to call.

Without my web site and everything I have stolen borrowed from you guys, I would be out of business. At the very least I would be back to fielding all those "how much do you charge" phone calls.

George

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

Terence, I don't know where you located, but if you're anywhere outside of Podunk Alabama, a website should increase the inspections you do.

Podunk, Alabama? Gee Donald, is that really much different from Wet Rock ,Texas? [:D]

And I actually beg to differ a bit; I think it would help anywhere, even in Podunk or Wet Rock. I'm in a fairly small market with a website only 4 - 5 months, but I'm already seeing some return on it. As George said, I primarily wanted one to make my arguement for myself. Websites are great for that, especially if you aren't limited to just a few pages. Lots of people hate to be sold, me included. They want to look around first, and eventually sell themselves on whomever.

Brian G.

Lovin' Mine So Far [:-love]

Hi Dave,

Great topic for me as I have also used Ainspect. I was very pleased to see my company listed in captioned ads on first pages on various search engines, but like you, I don't get many hits. As I get more proficient with this electronic beast I will develop my own.

Were you able to keep your domain name? I paid for a yr. up front and haven't yet asked for a refund. I also did not pay the set-up fee..I told them 600 bucks was enough and they bit.

I have gotten some work from the IHINA site and I feel pretty strongly about realtors staying on their side of the process. I have used my website, in part, to try to educate the consumer because HI's are not regulated in Ohio and realtors are not regulated effectively.

To get control of your domain name, you have to diddle around w/ Ainspect and have them do a transfer of the name to you as the registrant, administrative tech, & everything else. Specifically, it's called a "Internal Transfer Request". It was a pain in the ass, but I finally got it done after much misinformation & confusion.

Go to BulkRegister.com & pay your member fee; if you aren't a member of BulkRegister, it is more complicated. Once you're a member, & you get control of your own name, it's real real easy. While you're at it, register all variants of your name. Talk to Sam Ulloa @ Ainspect & he'll handle it. Start now, because it took me about 3 months to get it all done.

For anyone interested in firing up your own web site, the step by step directions were printed in the Journal of Light Construction about 3 or so years ago. I can't imagine having a site that I cannot enter any time I choose, change, add or delete whatever I want and pay less than $150 a year.

I don't remember the exact issue or the author of the article, perhaps Mike can tell you how to do a search.

George

Census statistics have shown that the purchase of a computer and related equipment is far down the list of necessities of those people who live in low income communities such as Podunk Al or Mudflap TX. [:-cowboy]

As I recall, at the top of the list was shotguns/rifles followed by ammo. Then it was two refrigerators (one for the front porch and one for the back porch) purchased at the local Western Auto store (along with enough Old Milwaukee to fill both), third was the purchase of AKC hounds, fourth was the 200 lbs of dry dogfood for the 27 1/2 hunting dogs already owned [:-bunny]. Fifth was new (read used)tires and a case of Fix-A-Flat for the 4x4. Sixth was gas and oil for the Johnson outboard. Finally seventh was several reels of Stren Magnaflex for the Zebco 888 fishing reels.

With family expenses such as those, it doesn't leave much for luxury items such as internet dial up and DOS computers.

I think an enterprising HI would do much better with his advertising budget in such areas by sponsoring the local Turkey Shoot every Saturday. [:-wiltel]

Donald

This will sound stupid, but it works. I read the book HMTL for Dummies. It tells you all you need to know to develop a website from scratch. I read the book and had my website up and running 2 days later. http://www.honesthomeinspection.com

I had a website with Ainspect with a slightly different name and did not want to hassle with transfering the domain name ownership to me.

I am CABO certified, which is required in my area for most new homes. Type "cabo certified home inspector" in Google and see whos website comes to the top for free. I haven't checked it lately, but my site used to come to the top or near it. I only submit my website to Google, the top dog for search engines.

I love being able the change my website on the go for free. It does not have a lot of bells and whistles, but its doing the job.

Dave Voight

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

third was the purchase of AKC hounds, fourth was the 200 lbs of dry dogfood for the 27 1/2 hunting dogs already owned [:-bunny].

I never heard a lot of Mr. Foxworthy, but my favorite "You might be a redneck if..." is:

If your front porch collapses and kills more than 6 dogs, you might be a redneck. [}:)]

Brian G.

Structurally Sound Front Porch & Only 1 Dog [:-doggy]