WSU Structural Pest Website

Major drift, so feel free to reposition at will, Mike, but no other area seemed appropriate. The large grey/brown thing to the left of the termite damage and Great Stuff is a defunct hornet's nest I saw in a partial crawlspace last week. According to the pest inspector who was present at the inspection, this thing should've been awarded a prize due to its size. And if it'd been active, and my dumb ass has started poking and prodding, I'd likely have been lucky to survive. Point is, to those who're unaware like I was, steer clear if you see one of these in a crawlspace or attic until you know for certain that it's inactive.

John

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC06065a.jpg

208.27 KB

Originally posted by Bain

Major drift, so feel free to reposition at will, Mike, but no other area seemed appropriate. The large grey/brown thing to the left of the termite damage and Great Stuff is a defunct hornet's nest I saw in a partial crawlspace last week. According to the pest inspector who was present at the inspection, this thing should've been awarded a prize due to its size. And if it'd been active, and my dumb ass has started poking and prodding, I'd likely have been lucky to survive. Point is, to those who're unaware like I was, steer clear if you see one of these in a crawlspace or attic until you know for certain that it's inactive.

John

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC06065a.jpg

208.27 KB

I ran into a big Yellow Jacket nest a couple of months ago in an attic buried under a foot or so of blown in FG Insulation, luckily I hat e Fiberglass and had on my Tyvek suit, a resprator and goggles, they got me pretty good on one cheek, my neck, and my ears, quite a few of them followed me into the house before I could get the access cover back in place, and again luckily the house was vacant and the only other person there was a Realtor who got zapped a couple of times, I think in the summer I will start wearing Tyvek suit with hoods.

Hi John,

Those are paper wasps. If you leave them alone, they'll pretty much leave you alone. That nest is a respectful size, but I've had paper wasp nests that completely filled rafter bays from eave to ridge over cathedral ceilings and most of a floor joist bay beneath floors. They are pretty industrious fellows.

Lewis,

You must have really startled them. Most of the yellow jackets I see are pretty docile. It's those damn smoke-blue bald-faced hornets that I really don't like. Those things are territorial. Come anywhere within about 10 feet of their nest and they attack unprovoked.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm not really sure how aggressive yellow jackets are here. They tend to hide thier nests, so it's usually the person who starts trouble without knowing it.

Down here we have to watch out for the Red Wasps. They may hit you just for being in the general area. We actually have two strains of those nasty SOB's; the dark-red-fading-to-black boys, and thier even more belligerent orange-with-hardly-any-black cousins.

Brian G.

Stingers Suck [:-sour]