Summary Reports

Hi Chris,

Pardon me if I've missed something, but I don't see the distinction between this question and the one posed about executive summaries that you posted here:

http://www.tijonline.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3908

If there is a difference, it's either new age or it's something that I've apparently missed for nearly 11 years.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Exactly. When I clicked on this, I thought I was clicking on that thread. Imagine my disappointment.[:-bigeyes

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Chris,

Pardon me if I've missed something, but I don't see the distinction between this question and the one posed about executive summaries that you posted here:

http://www.tijonline.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3908

If there is a difference, it's either new age or it's something that I've apparently missed for nearly 11 years.

OT - OF!!!

M.

In this question I am asking do you make a separate report. When I think of the inspection summary I am thinking of a summarization contained in the full report. I have seen some inspectors name this separate report "Express report". At present with the convenience of email why bother with a separate report to just cut down on the page count? It use to be a complaint a few years ago when people were hard copying every thing to each other. What I was wondering is if it was still considered a benefit to send a separate smaller report?

Chris, Oregon

Hi,

OK, I understand now.

As I stated in that other thread, I routinely provide two reports - a full report and a summary report. After I complete the full report, I save it and then do a 'file' and then 'save as' and add (summary) behind the file name. Then I go to the report cover, add the word "summary" between the words Inspection and Report, and I go through the report, delete all descriptions, fine print notes and disclaimers, leaving only the section headings and issues that I've described. In the front of the report, immediately behind the table of contents, I add a page called "About This Summary Report" that warns the client that the summary report is for convenience only and is what his/her realtor typically uses for future negotiations. On that page, I recommend that the client read the full report cover to cover and rely on it when making his/her decision. Then I update my table of contents and re-save it. Now I've got two separate reports - one 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the other - and I e-mail them both to the client.

Unless the client has told me that it's OK, I don't send a copy to the real estate agent. I let the client forward a copy of he/she wants. If the client wants the agent to get copies, I CC the agent on the same e-mail and the e-mail clearly states that the client should rely on the full-report to make his/her decision and that the summary is what the real estate agent will typically use. This makes it very clear to both of them that the summary report contains only the issues and that I'm strongly recommending that the client (and by default the real estate agent, as well) read the full report cover to cover.

It sounds long and complicated, but I've become accustomed to it and the summary report only takes about 3-5 minutes extra to produce. I like it because if they only share the summary report with the seller during future negotiations, the seller isn't likely to turn around and try and use that to re-sell the house if things go south, because it contains only negative information about the house and doesn't describe any of the systems.

It's not unusual for me to book inspections for sellers after they've seen me inspect their homes and read portions of my reports, but the constant refrain I hear from them is that 'The Report' only contained negative information about their home. That's when I point out to them that's because they'd only seen the summary report and not the full report.

I think this method leaves me out of any tug-of-wars after the inspection and it ensures that, even if a seller gets a copy of the summary report, a seller isn't likely to try and use it to re-sell the house to someone else, thus reducing my risk of exposure to any subrogation issues.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Chris,

Go here:

http://www.aboutthehouseinspections.com/download.asp

type in: SUM

This is an acutal summary from a new house I did a couple of weeks ago.

You will see I included some code sections, I only do that on a new house.

I have my report program designed to automatically include any 'defect' or 'Fire/Health/Safety' issue into a summary.

On certain POS houses, I will NOT include a summary; if I did it would actually be about half the report.

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com